Is my backup housekeeping method flawed?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Con_M, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Con_M

Con_M Registered Member

Hi all,

We have been using TI for a while now with no problems - but I've been rethinking and I can't figure out what to do...

The computer does a full backup every day to a network drive. On alternate days, the full backup is called "primary" and "secondary", so theoretically there are 2 generations of backup. However, since the computer is a laptop, if it is disconnected half-way through, then only 1 generation of backup remains. The next day, if the laptop is disconnected half-way through again, then there will be no backups left!

So it's not really acceptable. I'm thinking it would be better to backup each day with a new filename (so TI doesn't destroy the old one while creating the new) and then somehow delete the 3rd/4th/5th generations of backup that I don't need anymore.

So, can I do this? Is there a small app out there that I can schedule to delete redundant files?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening!

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

TI Roll

BUt you'll have to ask there about it because i can't follow it...

If it where me i'd come up with a method that stops you from disconnecting during an image though.... Say you don't get a full image for two weeks. Is a two week old image any good to you?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  3. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

TiRoll is very limited for the moment, only full backups monthly with incrementals.

Ghost 9, V2I before that, have housekeeping built in since day one. In a single job you define a day for a "base" backup, then how many incrementals you want & when, then how much base backups to keep.

Base backups & incrementals get deleted when your base backups go beyond that number.

Can't be that hard for Acronis to write? I had to juggle with 3rd party tools & basic scripting to make it happen.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Tonio,

We have the option of scheduling full image creation without deleting previous builds in our Enhancement List. This feature will be implemented in future versions of Acronis True Image. Currently you may create incremental images to keep the sort of "history" of your system states.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

No problem Ilya, for me it's not an issue anymore, my script works just fine.

When compared to "the dark side", like the people here refer to the "other" program out there, scheduling should be improved.

Keep up the good work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.