Is Malwarebytes still useful

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ako, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I understand how an unpleasant interaction with a vendor can put one off a product, but that's a separate issue. There's a difference between personally perceiving a need for a product and the product's actual functionality. I get that you don't need MBAM. We all have to make choices about how much security we need and which products to use. Perhaps you could just appreciate that I and others have had different experiences and come to different conclusions?

2. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

That's why I said in my experience, and again, it's one of the best products to clean an infected PC no doubt about that, that's what I first run when I come across a client's PC that is infected.

On a side note, I wanna ask you a question, you know when I have MBAM Pro running and there is a torrent client running also, i keep getting notifications that its blocking some bad connections, are those really bad connection attempts? can you elaborate more on them? if that is a useful feature then I might give it another shot.

3. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

4. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

Thanks for sending me the samples. Unfortunately these are not "script exploits" or "java exploits", they are simple VBS scripts and stand-alone java apps. MBAE was designed to block exploits. The samples you are testing are NOT exploits.

5. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Zero- The vb scriptors obviously aren't termed exploits, they're more properly termed worms. The point of my initial post was to make users aware that MB real time is ineffective against these as I hope that you realized assuming that you ran them.

I agree that the vb scripts are simple; but sadly they are quite effective. The last sample that I sent is an evolved version of the kjw0rm worm, which although "simple" is smart enough to recognize that it is in a virtual environment.

6. wildman

wildman Registered Member

IMO it boils down to what does and does not work for the individual. If one reads comments from various posters on various security related forums and have a wee bit of computer smarts they can make a good choice I believe. I currently am not so happy with MalwareBytes and it has nothing to do with it's detection capability but rather the time it takes to do a scan. There are other apps. in the category that are much faster in that regard and appear to do a good job of protection. My hope is that MalwareBytes will speed up it's scan time in both the free and paid versions.

Always,
    Wildman

7. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Exactly right. There's a reason why MBAM is a go-to tool for most techies.

People quickly learn which tools are worth using, and which are a waste of time when they're actually working on infected machines. MBAM has always been a very effective anti-malware program.

As for the real-time capabilities, then it's up to an educated user to determine: exactly which vectors are they vulnerable to?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.