Is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheMozart, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Ask Bruce in post 19. I can't answer the question, but from years here on Wilders I am sure of my answer.
    In my opinion MBAM is the best overall Anti-malware application of its type.
    Regards,
    Jerry

2. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

If it's the "best" why are people telling me it's not enough and that I need other malware scanners to detect stuff that MBAM misses? That confuses me:blink:

Then it's not so good after all if other scanners can detect malware that MBAM misses.

I am happy I learned about this now as I had been falsely relying on MBAM alone, which I now realise is not so good after all as it misses some infections that other scanners detect.

3. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

MBAM is excellent, but no single antivirus/antispyware application can catch everything. This is why a "second opinion" scanner is recommended- to work WITH Malwarebytes- to augment it's capabilities with those featured in a second AV/AM.
    Likewise, while scanning is the traditional method for locating the bad stuff, other types of security applications add to the total protection package.

Just as malware scanners do their part, also contributing are a good and properly configured firewall, an effective and properly configured HIPS (if not included in the firewall), sandboxing, whole system virtualization, an effective backup strategy, LUA, SRP, and common sense.

All of the above are "layers" of protection, and with this "layered" defense, you employ a variety of tactics to thwart malware.

Reading this thread, you have been given excellent advice and numerous suggestions for securing your computer; you should be thankful.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

What I can tell you is there is no single scanner that detects all malware. For that reason most use a layered approach.
    If you check various test organizations you will see that no AV is perfect. I rely on AV Comparatives to provide the best information regarding the detection rates of AVs. You might check that site as you desire.
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

I don't know of a test organization that provides a complete test of the various AM applications such as SAS and MBAM.

Sorry I cannot offer more help, but that is about all I know about the subject.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

but you can layer away and still be missing the one layer out of them all, that detects the specific malware. Keep in mind, the more blankets you add the more weight you may add.

Me? Pick one good one and enjoy your computer.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

layer is good;)

7. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Most of the MBAM team are members of the antimalware community and we have always suggested a layered approach, that does not go away just because we have a product.

Personally I have always liked the idea of eliminating single points of failure. Even if its just MBAM + AV it is unlikely that an attack or error will leave your system naked.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

bruce you have Nod32 antivirus?

9. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

There are many systems in my house but the only "family" machine is set up with MBAM pro + Avira pro and LUA for browsing sessions. I obviously keep everything up to date. In the case of this system this is "enough" as there is minimal risk and nothing to protect.

I have a dedicated machine for financial transactions and that is locked down with policies and anti-execution.

Our users seem to like MSE + MBAM, Avira + MBAM and NOD32 + MBAM. We are seeing more and more Avast + MBAM users as well.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nice to know bruce:thumb:

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i have Mbam Pro+PE Guard+WinPatrol Plus

12. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I year ya, thanks.

I now use EmergencyKitScanner in addition to MBAM.

13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I wonder what that "good one" is according to you :D hehe

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

But what about all the 100s of new malware and virus that is released every day onto the internet? Those scanner won't detect them for hours, sometimes days, before they learn about the new malware and add it to their definition. Right or wrong?

15. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Both right and wrong actually. Many definitions are smart enough to predict future variations or collective malware protection tech thus detecting malware yet to be coded. IP protection does the same as most new malware will come in through know black listed IP addresses.

AV software does work a bit differently yet also is very good at predicting malware yet to be known and/or coded.

That being said there is always malare so new or changed that it is unlikely its 0hour will have good detection. This actually is the very reason we added IP protection to MBAM, it affords very good defense against these new threats.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

There seem to be many who do not run MBAM, or similar applications, real time but instead depend upon periodic scans.

I would appear to me that it is wiser to run MBAM real time to intercept malware that the AV does not detect. I would rather prevent than clean.
    I am not too sure why some prefer to run MBAM on demand, but it has never loaded my system, even the laptop with 1 gig of RAM. The very small price of MBAM is worth it to be able to prevent malware.

Regards,
    Jerry

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Probably because they don't own a license? :p
    I could be in this group :D

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Now is a good time to change.:D The cost of a license is very little for a lifetime.

Regards,
    Jerry

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Oh well, it's true, cheap for a top notch AV and lifetime license :rolleyes:
    BUT, i'm still too young to make transactions online ;) HEHEHEHE

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

MBAM focuses on the threats traditional antivirus programs regularly miss and not on what traditional antivirus programs are already good at ;)

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

And the most important fact, no AV is 100% bullet proof ;)
    That's why you can't put all your trust in 1 layer :D

22. progress

progress Guest

You should add a free AV - but there is no need for 23 AM/AV tools :) Don't listen to the wilders freaks :D

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I added a free AV, Emsisoft emergency kit.

24. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

You know that Emergency kit is only on demand. Not to be one of the wilders freaks but you may want to add a realtime AV. Something free, of course, like AVast, avira, avg, panda cloud...etc.

25. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

MBAM real time this is me.....:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.