Is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Enough?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheMozart, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

All I have on my Laptop is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Is my understanding correct that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware will check my HDD for all malware + Virus?

I do not need any other programs do I except for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware as it will check for everything that other Anti Virus programs check for, is that right?

I do not want a resident AV running so I would really like to just use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware only if that is enough. Is it?:blink:

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

No, that is not correct. MBAM is a great program that I would not be without, but it does not detect and prevent all the different types of malware. It is my view that you do need an AV. There are some good free ones.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

+1
    Nope its not enough. Its a great antimalware and catches alot of things. You still should have a resident AV. You can try panda cloud AV or any of the other free ones out there. Try a few and see what works best.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Not enough, layered approach or you should get a second hand opinions scanners. Preferably Layered Approach ;)

5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Another vote for "not enough".

If you don't want real-time protection, the free versions of Prevx or Immunet would add another quality scanner.
    You might also consider the new Emsisoft Emergency Kit which is free.

If you haven't already done so, add SandboxIE, Keyscrambler, and a good HIPS, perhaps included with a good firewall such as Online Armor.

Running with a Limited User Account is also a good security policy, and common sense plus staying away from XXX websites and those websites offering pirated software will help to avoid nasties.

As others have already suggested, using a layered approach to security is the best policy, and don't forget a good imaging program if all else fails or you get careless.

6. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

What you are protecting and the potential danger level do factor in here but we do suggest that MBAM be paired with at least a standalone AV.

Is this a single user PC with UAC that will have the OS and all web facing apps kept up to date or is this a PC with multiple teenage users that are likely to have "fun" with it?

Will this be a surfing/email/apps PC or will this also be used for banking/shopping?

MBAM+AV+LUA(for "dangerous" sessions)+alt browser with script control+keeping up to date is plenty for the average user without the need for excessive hands on maintenance nor the need to google a lot of messages.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks bruce:thumb:

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

In the depths of winter you wouldn't go outside with just a heavy winter coat on no matter how warm the coat was.

If you went into someone's house and the the coat came off.....well..

Layers keep you warm and safe :)

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

lolzz... but IMO for an experienced user MBAM is enough (even nothing..;))... Because MBAM specializes in taking care of DBD rogues..:)

10. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I've been running fine with only MBAM as my real-time scanner. No infections at all. And it's been almost 8 hours. :)

11. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

You will stay 8 years like this if you have cs.exe installed..;) :D

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Whats that? :D

13. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Common sense ..;) :p :thumb:

14. progress

progress Guest

But you should always use the latest version :thumb: :D

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

yep, patches should always be installed..:-*

Jokes aside I really think you may not need anything in real time other than MBAM and Sandboxie. You can keep a on-demand scanner to check downloaded attachment...:)

16. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I guess the more common sense, the less defenses you need. I have wondered about how effective on-demand scanning is though. Would it be too late at that point with some malware? Couldn't some of them wreck the computer if it gets on?

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't agree that CS alone is enough. I know a lot of people who have CS who get infected even though they do not click on things that they know little or nothing about including email.
    I think the CS only advocates are an infection waiting to happen.

Regards,
    Jerry

18. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Not alone..!! Sandboxie and MBAM is there to complement it...:)

19. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

The problem with "common sense" alone is that it only defines your actions. All it takes is one hacked legit site or one ad supported site that gets a bad ad stream and your "common sense" has been negated by an exploit.

You cant stop your otherwise safe actions from being changed to dangerous ones exterior to your machine so there is a minimal need to protect against the potential consequences.

It sucks but even safe surfing is not completely safe.

I think the best example of this from my own personal experience was on my ISP's home page. It has ads and one of them did attempt to load acrobat and then java and then a trojan. If you can get infected on your ISP's home page then obviously "common sense" is not bullet proof.

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Very true, but this time in my experience, i think i haven't got infected in a few years :D
    Well, it's only time when my turn comes :ninja:

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Well, it will give some additional experience of cleaning an infected system, and provide data as to the effectiveness of various applications. Boy, that sounds like fun.:D

Regards,
    Jerry

22. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So why can't Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware catch all malware ? What's wrong with it?

And isn't virus classified as malware?

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Are you serious? Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware does not detect and prevent all the different types of malware? Why not?:blink: What's wrong with it? Then Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware isn't so good after all if it's missing malware that other scanners will detect!

24. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Ok I downloaded the Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

So now I am running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware + Emsisoft Emergency Kit from a USB stick.

Is that enough now? Those 2 programs?

BTW, I run Sandboxie when I visit websites that may be dodgy.

Also, I tried Keyscrambler once but I deleted it because it doesn't support pasting text. I have 30 character long passwords that I paste into forms but Keyscrambler don't support pasting. Besides, how can I have a keylogger infecting my laptop when I never download any programs and when I am running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware + Emsisoft Emergency Kit which checks for keyloggers?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Banking also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.