Is Linux better than sandboxie ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Alpine1, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpine1

Alpine1 Registered Member

Hi I am thinking of using a virtualbox enviroment. I have just started using Ubuntu (linux) with out a virtual enviroment. I wondered if I could ask a very generalised question - Which has the best security , is linux Ubuntu better than using a trapping virus method with sandboxie and windows. I am comparing the default Ubuntu straight out of the box in comparison with Sandboxie. If this is an impossible comparison to make my apologies but I thought it would at least help asking experienced computer users on this forum. Also I don't see a question like in anywhere on the internet. Thus if an answer is possible to this without me giving any real details it could be helpful to alot of searchers and users.

Many thanks for your time and help. :)

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

First off, using Sandboxie for studying live malware is very much contraindicated. It's safe for defense, not so much for research.

I can't really give any statistics on Linux vs. Windows + Sandboxie. Really these are different things.

Linux in Virtualbox is pretty secure, probably moreso than Sandboxie, but again live malware might pose issues if there is an exploit in Virtualbox's driver (which works mostly the same on different OSes).

3. Alpine1

I guess the question is then if you were forced into a situation where you could only use one or the other which would you feel most safe using and why ? A very wide topic with wide and different reasons but still there is merit in asking it hopefully. Thanks all.

4. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Wrong question, IMHO.

Sandboxie is basically just security software. Virtualbox is a framework for running almost any x86 compatible OS in userspace on top of another OS - its use for security reasons is a fringe benefit.

5. Alpine1

Okay I can see what your saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.