Is KIS getting to bloated?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SteveBlanchard, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

plently more fish in the sea eh:D

2. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Well, statisticaly there are more women than men...so... :D

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Wonderful subject to discuss, however, let's find our way back to Is KIS getting to bloated? Please.

Thanks

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

joking aside, i dont think kis is getting bloated.
    its quite alot lighter than the older versions of kis.
    it hasnt been out long and still has some bugs but overall its very good in its current state.

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Don't know about KIS, but KAV 8.0.0.357 is running grreatt here.
    It's the best kav build to date IMO ;)

6. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

Long time Kaspersky user.

For me 8.0 isn't bloated in the least, in fact it's one of the lighter Suites I've ever used. I've not had any firefox problems or anything else either.

To be fair I do have a quad core processor and 3 gigs of memory, so milage may vary in terms of possible bloating.

That being said can only go by what I've seen and in my opinion, this is the single greatest internet security suite ever created.

7. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I agree. Running great here also. I've no intention of changing anytime soon what with a free 3 user 1 year license from my bank I'm very happy!

8. Edwin024

I have tried out a lot of suites lately and KIS for sure isn't bloated at all. It uses the least of RAM or CPU time. It offers more than for instance ESS but it gets not bloated because of that. Avira SS for instance uses many more processes and RAM/CPU.

9. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    I would personally say that, at each new release, KIS is getting less and less bloated both in terms of memory usage/CPU as well as easy of use. On automatic settings is completely silent and does its job accurately. Very good for inexperienced users.

Cheers,
    Fax

10. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

I think many people think its bloated because it is quite sensitive to incompatitable products compared to other competitors, you really need to do the parser before taking the product, after removing the entries of incompatible registry's and running process and files, KIS 7.0.125 (the version I tried the trial on) worked quite fast.

11. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I see KAV & KIS2009 have both been officially released on the UK site today.

12. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Isn't it also for the U.S site today?

I hope they release a new build (atleast hotfix C) because it would be bad for the big population of U.K to get problems/bugs.

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I know for my self when I look at a product and I see its loaded with features, my first thoughts is it looks bloated but I know better then to never judge a book by its cover.That said Kaspersky did a fine job here with looks, features with out the heavy load on sytem resources.

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It all depends on one's definition of "bloated". Is it the extra features? Is it memory usage? (Although some would argue additional components may impact on memory.) The trick for the developers of this and future versions is to try and keep the footprint down as low as possible. Not an easy task considering the permutation of computer setups worlwide.

On my day to day use of the product, I can say it isn't bloated on both those levels, but then I don't have all modules installed and those that I do, aren't used all the time.

15. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Tried it on my test system never found it bloated. always worked OK. but just not good for my set up. :'( they did a awesome job IMO on v8. :D

16. Edwin024

Fajo, read what I wrote at your Vista 64 thread answer... You just don't have the sytem for what you are writing about!

17. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

100% in agreement!:thumb:

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

WTF are you talking about..... I have 5 Different computers one is a test bed for anything I want to throw at it which is what I wrote above. I don't have a Vista 64 computer. I do have a vista 32 bit tho and a Windows XP SP3. Along with old time (Mandrake) Linux install before they changed. Also I Complemented KIS for the job they did. ~Comment removed. -Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  19. Edwin024

You spoke about your gaming system after your first postings. If you had done that in the first posting we would never be in this "word fight". ~Comment removed. - Ron~

20. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Sorry for the off topic post Ron Ill watch it next time. :doubt:

My system or my spec's have nothing to do with this or any of my postings. I tested it, this is how it worked for me then I post about it. Just like everyone else on this forum. Go find someone else to word fight with. :blink: The fact is KIS did not play so well with my system, but I don't find it bloated. It ran fine, but it don't play nice with the programs I run. End of story.

21. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

I decided to give KIS another try as I heard some nice things about the new 2009 version. Wow. It runs at 24MB with little to no CPU on a regular basis, is quiet in Automatic mode (which I needed for the family PCs), has email notification of issues, and best of all has application vulnerability checking now similar to the SANS Storm Center tool. Found out I had an old version of Quicktime (damn iTunes), so I got that fixed.

The other big issue I had with 6 and 7 was around web performance, and after several Speakeasy Speed tests, I'm seeing no slowdown.

I'm all for additional capabilities, if it doesn't bloat the software and I can turn stuff off if I don't want it. With KIS, it looks like I have both.

I've had it for a couple days, so I'll hold back on final judgement if I'll keep it or not, but for now its pretty awesome, I do have to say (and works fully on Vista 64, at least mine).

22. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

If you use process explorer; monitor the physical AND the virtual memory for just KIS. The VM was running at 250mb, with just KIS8 doing nothing other than running in the background. Upto 278mb when scanning. Which is a bit high for one process.

23. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

Running KIS 2009 on Vista 64 bit this is what I get from Process Explorer

Attached Files:

• kis.jpg
      kis.jpg
      File size:
      72.3 KB
      Views:
  24. nasdaqms

nasdaqms Registered Member

o,no,my friend's computer has the smooth velocity when getting the pc started,but it has the lower configuration!
    i think it depend on the installed program numbers on the pc,and how compatible did the programs do?
    it is the big reason!not the configuration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.