Is keyscrambler worth using?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ams963, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

After reading the posts in another thread I had started I got a little confused at whether or not to use KS. I mean is it worth using? Do you guys really think it can and should take a place in a security setup?

You thoughts, advice and suggestions are heartily appreciated.

Best Wishes,
    Iron Man

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't believe that keyscrambler is reliable based on the presentation on Trusteer Rapport explaining the inherent issues with trying to verify encryption in Windows.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

my friend to be honest with you when you have Online Armor hips you dont really need any antilogger as OA does a very good job at blocking almost every thing malware related and for keyloggers hips stops this type of malware in real time:thumb:

4. carat

carat Guest

The keyscrambler developer doesn't fix bugs, maybe someone should stalk him again! :doubt:

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I always thought he was extremely proactive in fixing bugs. :D

Yeah, with OA you don't really need KS although it's not a bad option either because if everything fails then KS is there to save you. :D :rolleyes:

6. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

:thumb: I agree!

If you are using HIPS, you really don't need keyscrambler.

7. Melf

Melf Registered Member

Logging keys is really hard to stop without blocking legitimate behaviour and so (for me) being more of a PITA than it's worth.

I would rely on either a well configured firewall or something like keyscrambler (nb: haven't actually tried the latter) to block keylogging.

8. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

I think it's probably my post in the other thread that sparked this new thread. The issue is that Keyscrambler blocks what is today a very little used method of keylogging. Capturing keyboard strokes was always a very inefficient method of keylogging for malware authors simply because it captured so much information that you had to sift through huge logs to find anything interesting.

Nowadays, most malware that 'keylogs' uses MITB methods to grab exactly what they need. Often keylogging is not used at all, or if it is used it is very much a secondary logging method used by the malware.

So, imo it's not worth using. Test it against any banking malware such as Zeus, Carberp, Sinowal etc and it will fail. As MRG showed last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.