Is KAV working on chkdsk ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bls440, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Could you post the email at my home site? Dslreports does not restrict posting of emails. The original thread on KAV and chkdsk is at dslr security forum. You can post the email there.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r18608452-Kaspersky-You-lost-me-at-ISwift

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

In a nutshell, they confirm what you and I have already determined empirically - no file object ID's will be generated by F-Secure Internet Security 2008 (I assume you asked about that product specifically).

Blue

3. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

That topic was bought up in the forums on Online Armor awhile back.
    Maybe a month or so ago.
    It was stated the Kav scanner does not use the ObjectIDs.
    I'm sure Mike Nash will verify this we he sees these threads.

Dan:)

4. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Dear all:
    Regarding the email I got from F-secure:
    I read the email one more time and it clearly says that F-secure does NOT put any file identifier upon scanning the files. Plus they have better heuristic engine than Kaspersky. I think that's true.
    The testing results from Blue and myself confirmed their claim. As for now I will stick with F-secure.....

5. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Blue and maybe others have tested the results of KAV scanning. KAV DOES use objectIDs to speed up the scanning speed at the cost of puting crap into your file system.

6. BlueZannetti

Just to clarify what I've experienced or seen reported:

The following KAV engined programs generate file object ID's on scanning files:KAV, KIS, KAV WKS, KAV online scanner, AOL AV Shield, Zone Alarm AV

The following KAV engined programs do not generate file object ID's on scanning files:F-Secure IS, F-Secure online scanner

I don't know where the remaining KAV engined products fall in this listing, but virtually anyone desiring to know can readily and unambiguously determine that for themselves and proceed accordingly.

Blue

7. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

WOW.... "Blue_Z & Mele" << Thanks for your posts & comments in here :thumb:

...i'll be darn... If Kaspersky had that 'kinks' on their iStream & iCheck, then THESE culprit-DUO are the one that has created HAVOC on 1 of the main gateway workstations in our main legal library... DARN!:ouch:

One of the SysMaint installed an aim-AVS in it & everyone was complaining about it's startup & shutdown time until the unit just abruptly gone dead!

I only came to know of those complains when that rig has gone o_O ...intermittently, it would came up with a BSoD, upon a couple of reboot, it's ok. After a few weeks prior to being unbootable, all the winUpdate KB files had gone missing! They try to stream-load the whole set of KBs but the rig won't register it. Week later, it finally won't bootup even with a Rescue-Disk.

Finally, what they did was to reformat and redo a clean install. THAT lobs off a full 48hrs of usage since the rig runs a partial docx archive plus Nexis.

I was told that bootup & shutdown tooks almost 15mins each way... all the while i thought it maybe heavily fragmented! :doubt:

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hey Blue: does this mean that if I have used KAV's online scanner in the past that I have this kludge in my box?
    How to find out? How to remove? ( sorry, without rereading this whole thread and the dslr thread?)

Has Mike Nash actually confirmed this is not relevant with OA-AV?
    Regards.

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I havent read the whole thread; but we do not use iSwift - we use the KAV engine. I believe this may pop something on a file to tag it, but I am unsure if this is the problem that is being discussed here.

10. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Kinwolf hi... here is an even better 'alternate' addition to your posted process for uninstalling Kis/Kav >> Uninstall Kis/Kav, ran blue_Z's cmd-process (posted earlier), skip chkdsk BUT run SpinRite's (option2 on initial run, then a rerun in option3) instead! << THEN... decides if you wanna do a Kis/Kav reinstall;

If REINSTALLING Kis/Kav... thereafter, do a chkdsk instead of SpinRite. The rest of the steps is the same as above.

What do you say :blink: , blue_Z??

Btw... SpinRite (me uses v6) can be had from Gibson Research Corp :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2007
  11. BlueZannetti

Yes
    In the command prompt window, run the following commend
    Code:
    FOR /R %a IN (*.*) DO @ECHO. && @ECHO - %a && @FSUTIL ObjectID Query "%a" 
    It recursively covers all files from the start location down through all subdirectories. To cover an entire partition, start at the highest level.
    Again, from the Command Prompt, run
    Code:
    FOR /R %a IN (*.*) DO @ECHO. && @ECHO - %a && @FSUTIL ObjectID Delete "%a"
    at the appropriate level in the directory structure, typically that will be at the root level. Note, for a large volume with a lot of files, plan on letting this run for a few hours. Doing it in Safe Mode is probably the best bet.

Depending upon whether the file object ID's have been set, you should see results as illustrated below:
    Note - you should see file object ID's on some files, but they should be quite sparse. The issue with KAV is that a scan puts them on all files.
    See his comment above.

Blue

12. BlueZannetti

Note - the command process is due to deXter_

SpinRite probes a drives readability/writeability and tries to recover "unreadable" data, i.e. it is a detailed and comprehensive surface check. Chkdsk probes a partition's filesystem logical consistency in the initial phases and then performs a surface check only if directed to. SpinRite does not address the logical consistency of the file system and this is the primary issue that snowballs into operational problems. Running SpinRite at level 2 will examine an entire partition and then recover "unreadable" data, while level 3 will examine an entire partition, recover unreadable data, and then refresh the partition's data (i.e. read and rewrite the partition data). Logical consistency of the filesystem is not addressed.

Please note - SpinRite is a commercial program that must be purchased from Gibson Research Corp

Blue

13. Longboard

@Blue Z

Thankyou for info and commands.
    I think I have escaped this particular problem: see attached some of these photo files are "old" and have been scanned with KAV on line in past.

I cant actually recall when I last scanned online with KAV: has this been a recent problem?
    As a result of poor recall o_O I am not sure whether some of these files have been moved/deleted/ reconfigured and may have been scanned with KAV:

SO:

OOI is it reasonable, sensible, safe, required, advised to 'strip' these files as noted ?

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

14. BlueZannetti

Given the designed function of these things, I don't see why not.

Blue

15. Longboard

@Blue Z
    Thankyou
    :thumb:

Edit:I've kind of had this sitting in the background since first coming across the thread started at DSLR and have been waiting for the full tapestry to unroll. I have just waded through the the thread at DSLR ..whoo..not really sure what to think re Kaspersky...shame really..they (KL) are not the only legit and respected software company to "mistakenly" or "through sheer programming hubris" and "sophomoric decisions" (heh; nice one BZ) to take endusers for granted. We really have gone a long way down that road now and it may be hard to pull it back as per one of the 10 reasons to get Vista ( to draw a long bow..)
    Fight to own your own box.

as Blue's star rises and rises: whoever you are: nice to have you around :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  16. the insider

the insider Registered Member

I only whished I had read/seen this thread earlier : yesterday my PC crashed after installing KAV7 and it also messed up my image prog (paragon).... :mad:

17. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Sorry you missed it to.
    Before installing anything, I use the search feature at the top, to look up other users experiences, good and bad, with a product.
    Some very smart people here and there's alot to learn.
    Good luck with your computer.
    Hope you get it back up and running prior to the k....
    Dan :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.