Is KAV working on chkdsk ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bls440, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree totally with what Blue said, but the reality is Kaspersky doesn't seem inclined to provide a removal tool so your only option is do it yourself. Mele you are as much stuck by Dell as Kaspersky. Even if they wrote a removal tool, they probably would write one very much like the ADS remover they wrote. BUT, based on my test it would do much good in the windows area, as those files were locked. So there only other option would be what they did for the recovery scenario, BartPE. Either that or find a linux type distro that has some kind of file manager in which you can run a similar command. One other option is any imaging program which uses the Winpe environment, like ShadowProtect.

Even removing them manually, the windows area is a problem, unless you are in a separate boot environment.

Honestly, since you've removed KAV, I am not sure I'd worry about the ObjectID's. Unless you are doing something really out there, I don't see the need to run chkdsk that often.

Pete

2. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

Mele & gang...

No matter what, I will never ever trust Kaspersky ever again. It isn't even the problem, it's the way they chose to handle it...

Peter, with all due respect, that "fix" you mention may be okay, but I'd feel like I am operating on myself. I'm not that brave, or reckless...

I only have one computer infected with the KAV problem now. The other two, I was lucky and had "KavLess" clones.

There is life after KAV. It's called "any other AV".. LOL...

Jim

3. Peter2150

One big difference. WIth the computer, you can image the disk first. Then if the operation fails, just restore the image. Far safer, then amputating a leg, and discovering you took the wrong one off.

Pete.

PS. Thats why I test things like that in a VM machine. I can see real effects, and learn the gotcha's first.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm not familiar with the details of what they actually did, but I am assuming that they altered files by attaching something to them, or altered the file system in some manner that has resulted in some ill effects. I think another question is, did they really need to do this in the first place? Nobody else does that I know of. I assume the reason was to speed up future scans. Seems like a pretty unwise thing to do if it is any risk to the files or file system. In my opinion, nothing should ever alter the file system in such a way. They could have used some kind of database approach to hold info, or something else. So based on that, and the fact that many people have had troubles, I would have to pass on any future use of KAV myself...

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I don't know much about the development of AV software, but I would venture to guess that this technique was employed to place a "fingerprint" on each item in your file system to allow the program to work more efficiently by recognizing this "fingerprint" and bypass those that were not changed (the net result being a much reduced scan time). They could have employed a different option to achieve the same results, but I guess they must have decided that this particular option was a "workable" one for the program. Programmers do whatever it takes to make something operate better (for their particular application) and they cannot be totally cognizant of the ramifications of that update. It makes you wonder what any program is doing to your computer (especially any GUI application). :doubt: :shifty:

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I still say it wont be fixed in 8.

7. jmschwartz

jmschwartz Guest

And I say it will. So there! :p

8. Peter2150

Okay, lets not get into a back and forth slug fest. In a since you are both right. Fixed in terms of removing the objectid's from current computers, probably not, I don't thing anything has been said. Fixed in terms of changing the technology. yes.

Pete

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Does the on line web based Kav scan create the same issue with Chkdsk?

Right now, if I try to run a windows xp sp 2 defrag, I get a message no can do there is a chkdsk / f scheduled to run !

I didn't schedule it did this Kav thingee issue you all have been debating cause this little gem?

I ran a Kav on line weeks ago, it found zip but now thiso_O?

Anybody got any ideas?

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Here's a recent thread where this is being discussed. Please join that discussion if you have further comments\questions.

Kaspersky Online Scanner ObjectID

Thanks,
    Bubba

11. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Will do Bubba, TY

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, my personal opinion is that no app should ever make alterations to the file system like that. It's just not proper.

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

As I recall from a previous post, the online scanner appears to act the same way as the regular AV program (modifying Object IDs), though you wonder why it would do so since the AV program is not "installed" on your system?o_O

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Not appears to act the same way, but does act the same way. See here.

Although not needed for an online scanner, I assume that it is a simple consequence of using the same basic engine and program (i.e. minimal changes).

Blue

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

From direct experience I can tell you that programmers are a lazy bunch. They will borrow or copy code from elsewhere whenever they can do so. :shifty: :rolleyes: :p :cool:

16. BlueZannetti

That's not necessarily lazy. If you have debugged and field proven code, use it. This is simply a logical consequence of the path that KL implemented. I don't agree with it, but it makes perfect sense to me that this is how it would ultimately play out.

Blue

17. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

I am new here but anyone has proven evidence that programs that use KAV engine, such as F-secure also creates those objectIDs in our file system? I switched from KAV to F-secure lately but I am not sure if F-secure will do the same tag thing as KAV does...

18. BlueZannetti

Well, KAV engined Zone Alarm does, KAV engined AOL does, even their online scanner does, but I don't recall an explicit comment specifically regarding F-Secure. The question can be readily and unambiguously addressed, however, by following the same procedure that I did here for the KAV Online scanner.

Blue

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

isn't the AV that Online Armor uses Kaspersky? If so i imagine it would also be included.

20. BlueZannetti

Yes, although once again, direct and unambiguous assessment is trivially easy for any current or interested potential user of any product on the market, and that's the best way to go - with firm data, not soft speculation.

Blue

21. oliverjia

Thanks bule for your prompt reply. I followed your method and tested F-secure antivirus client security 7.10 and I did NOT see any added objectIDs after files scanned by F-secure!
    Good, I will stick with F-secure....

22. BlueZannetti

For completeness and indirect confirmation, the F-Secure online scanner yields the same result that you observed.

Blue

23. oliverjia

Cool! thanks for this info.
    To further confirm our test results, I just emailed F-secure online tech support inquring if their AV product will create ObjectIDs when scanning files. i.e., if they are using similar techique like iSwift/iCheck as in Kaspersky.. Will report back when I get their response...

24. oliverjia

Dear all,
    Just got the response from F-secure. However, I am not sure I understand completely what they mean because I am not a native english speaker; my understanding is that F-secure will not generate objectIDs. Please let me know what you think about this response....

<<snip>> Posting private emails isn't permitted

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2007
  25. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

oliverjia,

While you cannot post emails in whole on this forum, you can take key lines and post them, and post the ideas of the email.

I encourage you to do this to educate the forum on this issue.

Thank you,

-FTP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.