Is KAV working on chkdsk ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Bls440, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bls440

Bls440 Registered Member

Does this trick solve all the issues ?
    Also, I get an access denied on half of the files. How can I fix this ?
    Thanks for your help!

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I had a problem with it on my new laptop & it rebooted my machine. I had to recover lost clusters. Mind you I never had that problem with XP & I thought it was a vista issue?, you mean this is a kaspersky thing?, I replaced it with another AV I gotta read the forum more...

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Short answer - maybe on the solve. The real problem is one in which the filesystem becomes increasingly corrupted and remains unfix due to the inability of chkdsk to complete. Basically, it's a bad but fixable result that snowballs into a situation which ultimately requires a complete reinstall of everything (OS/apps) is necessary.

Did you completely uninstall KAV/KIS and restart? You shouldn't get an access denied on "half" of the files. A few that are locked by the system - sure. You could also redo it from safe mode.

Blue

4. BlueZannetti

Of course. A format fixes any soft error, which this is. Terms like "damage" are used rather loosely in this topic. Yes, the file system becomes damaged, the hardware is fine.

Blue

5. Bls440

Bls440 Registered Member

Thanks for the tips.
    When I meant 'half of the files', that's mainly because I only have windows installed on my primary drive. So yeah, half of those files are 'system' files being locked.

Also, I have another question. When you say that the file system is truncated, does that mean that all sort of datas (not only system files, but also pics, mp3s & so on) suffer from the same problem ? In that case, I can't believe nothing can be done to solve that matter!

6. BlueZannetti

Not truncated, corrupted.

If the file system develops logical inconsistencies, they can be readily repaired under some circumstances. Casually speaking, likelihood of repair is best if the inconsistencies are low in number.

The following analogy is not that precise, but think of a completed puzzle in which a few pieces have been dislodged - if it's just a few pieces, repair is quite easy for anyone. However, as the number of dislodged pieces becomes large, the problem quickly morphs into reassembling the puzzle from scratch. It's a similar issue here. The puzzle pieces are sections of a file on the disk. The file system contains the map of how these pieces are logically related to one another to yield a given complete file. If that map is destroyed, you don't know how to reconstitute the pieces to yield the original file. So, while the data is there, you might not be able to reconstitute it into a useable form. For all intents and purposes, the data is lost (I'm ignoring the "in principle" brute force reconstruction as not practical).

Blue

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What I got from M0d (and others) in the dslr thread, and in private conversations, is that this is a time bomb that will eventually hit anyone with Kaspersky. Granted, the severity will vary due to several things such as the number, or lack of, small files, how large the drive is, etc.

No one can tell me that it is normal, and acceptable, for me to go from 2-3 minutes for chkdsk on my new computer to OVER ONE HOUR six months later when Kaspersky had been installed for several months. No one has a right to accuse me of ranting either. If you had a new computer, expensive one, and this happened? You'd be posting repeatedly about it too. Stupid me, I actually did not believe, nor take the advice, of Frode, the original poster, at Kaspersky forums. I didn't want to believe that what had happened to him could be beginning to happen to me. Chkdsk was still ok when I read his first post. He told me to get Kaspersky off my new computer immediately. I said but I turned off ISwift, I have never done or will do a full scan, I should be ok...and maybe your conclusions are wrong anyhow. He still said get Kaspersky off your computer...it is JUST A MATTER OF TIME before you see the damage. He was right. It took a lot longer because of my precautions, but it happened anyway. I bent over backwards to believe the fanboys at Kaspersky forum. You better believe I am now very bitter and no way I am going to shut up. None of you have any right to characterize my righteous, and long over due posts, as being rants.

Note the JUST A MATTER OF TIME comment. I refused to believe Frode and I went from 2-3 minute chkdsk at boot to over one hour even with my precautions. It's gonna bite most of you if not all of you. I don't have a True Image from before Kaspersky. My images have the object identifiers so that is not a viable solution. I have been advised of highly complex (at least for me) procedures I can try when I install my new hard drive and move everything from the smaller one to the new, much larger one to get rid of the object identifiers, but I am scared to try those things. I've never even installed a new hard drive...that alone and moving everything is going to be daunting enough for me. Blue gets tiresome. I'm terrified of the simple, easy solution he posts. If it was so damn simple, with no risks, and it actually works don't you think Kaspersky would have long ago published it?! When I tried to remove the ADS tags from a mere ONE WEEK TRIAL of KAV 2005, I suffered BSODs, all sorts of problems and NOTHING ACTUALLY REMOVED THEM. Kaspersky finally gave us a tool to remove them and I was the first person they sent the tool to. The tool promptly removed my nVidia driver and caused a BSOD on boot and didn't remove a single ADS tag although it ran for over SIX HOURS and got my computer extremely hot and I had to abort it at that point. Others promptly posted at dslreports with the same problems I had. This was a tool developed by the vendor, yet it caused all sorts of serious problems and didn't work either (until Kaspersky revised it and issued it again and even then it worked only partially)! Yet, I am supposed to trust and use the method Blue keeps posting and telling everyone that folks like me should just shutup and use that unproven removal? Geez. :(

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I have a new computer, expensive one, and spent less time reformatting than you have posting about this subject! You have made your point, now give the readers a chance to let the message sink-in. Repeating the message over and over causes the reader to "zone you out" and ignore the point.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i thought KAV7 was an improvement for chkdsk errors compared to KIS6 which it used to happen all the time.

10. BlueZannetti

Is there any empirical evidence to support the contention that this is an inevitable result? How about a theoretical analysis?

At this point I don't see a growing wave of genuine problems being reported. Given that the integrated exposure is going through the roof and new problem reports are not, the implication is that this is not a general issue, i.e. that it simply won't hit just anyone with Kaspersky issue.

I don't believe that anyone productively commenting on this topic would maintain that going from 2-3 minutes to more than an hour is normal - all other things being equal - it's not, and I specifically haven't made that comment.

You state that
    then point out that
    which is pretty much the classical definition of a rant.

Does that terror have any basis in known fact? If so, please provide it.

Could you please point me to any specific post cached anywhere on the entire collected content of the Internet where I've told any poster to shutup?
    Unproven? How so?

Blue

11. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

You lot are still reading ranting posts? Wow! You lot have alot of time on your hands!... I automatically filter out some users posts... yes, I read a few of them, but if they're constantly the same arguments/rantings, I get bored of them and begin to swish to the next post without waisting my time and ignore the certain posters :)

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Whether one accuses you or not, that sure qualified as a rant.

As to the matter of time. I don't have a clue who Frode is or what makes him the last word on this. I had KAV 6.0 on my computers since the mid point of the beta, and Kav 7.0 all the way thru release. My computers run perfectly fine. As to chkdsk time, don't know, don't care, don't run it.

Fact is both my machines are running at peak efficiency because I keep them clean, and defragged. It's hard to take seriously a warning that is posted mid rant, with absolutely not a shredd of evidence supporting the theory. Sorry.

13. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Has anyone managed to find anything in common for all the users that experience the Chkdsk problem, EG- some program or utility they all have installed?

I have been using AOL AVS and now KAV 7 for over a year with XP Home and have had no problems whatsoever.

14. BlueZannetti

Not to my knowledge, but the primary opportunities to do precisely that were squandered by Kaspersky Labs from the outset.

Blue

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh, there is plenty of evidence, but you first have to open your eyes.
    :thumbd:

16. BlueZannetti

Well, first you have to qualify what constitutes evidence.

Lengthening of stage 2 of chkdsk has to happen if file object ID's are created. The extent of that lengthening is machine dependent, so at the very least you need to have a pre-KAV/KIS value. From what I've observed, the anomalous cases are where the post-KAV/KIS stage 2 time exceeds 10-20 minutes and/or the ratio of stage 2 times (post/pre) is a reasonably large integer (say 25 for lack of firm data).

You can disagree on that metric, but by that metric, there appears to be less than a 1 or 2 dozen reported and confirmed cases. I happen to believe that each of those cases are important, but it's a long way from 10's of thousands to millions of cases.

If you have another view, I'd be happy to hear it, along with the data. I am familiar with the data presented the following threads: Kaspersky, You lost me at ISwift.. and KAV causing chkdsk errors as well as threads referenced therein.

Blue

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Blue - my system never runs chkdsk automatically on reboots, yet it did this quite a few times with KIS6 installed, regardless of what it does when chkdsk is ran by yourself (the reports of slow downs or hangs), it got me wondering about my HD, to make windows keep running them automatically on reboots.

18. BlueZannetti

I've never experienced that myself on any machine on which KAV is installed, but it's those types of behavioral changes to which one has to pay particular attention. In isolation, it hard to assess whether it is a direct issue or arises from a secondary effect (i.e. KAV/second program conflict). Either way, those situations bear watching.

Blue

19. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

Well, I finally got time to try the steps that Blue posted and I can happilly report that it helped alot.

I uninstalled KIS, ran the command(took some time) re-ran chkdsk, all seemed fine by then. Reinstalled KIS, re-ran chkdsk and while it seems stuck at 10% for about 2 mins(this might be normal), it sure isn't taking an hour like before. :D

Edit:change 40-50 seconds to 2 minutes after actually timing it.

20. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

I'd also like to add that even if some someone doesn't use chkdsk personally, many apps do. I use O&O defrag and it use windows chkdsk when you ask it to analyse the disks before defragmentation, that's how I first noticed the problem.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am not talking about chkdsk issues, but the fact that because I had KAV on my systems I am eventually going to have problems with them. KAV has been off my system for a while now(not because of this), so when do these problems start and what are the symptoms, again excluding chkdsk.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

then I owe you an apologie.:thumb:

23. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

@ Mele20

You mean self-righteous and yes anyone can call you on your ranting.
    Long overdue? Your joking again right?? You have been on this anti-Kaspersky crusade for weeks and for want of proof just head on over to BBR.

Be it a 1 day old computer or 10 year old computer for all those claims you have made over the years of being a beta testing, self-taught computer user a software issue should not even have raised an eye brow. You do make backups or Images don't you?

Report the issue - follow the issue - use a different program.

I would not tell you to shut up but the more you rant the weaker your argument gets and at this point your argument and credibility is at a low point.

24. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Fitering some users causes other problems though. Like a thread full of.... This message is hidden because Everyone is on your ignore list.

25. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

lol, only a veryyy small minority filtered though!... still like to hear/read other users opinions, thoughts and feelings :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.