Is KAV ever be freeware?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by php111, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. php111

php111 Registered Member

Will KAV ever become freeware? I don't have credit, debit, or bank account to buy it. What other options to get Kaspersky as freeware?

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Probably a giveaway, aside from that, i don't think Kaspersky will offer a free version of it anytime soon.

Same as with Symantec ;)

There are lots of free options out there :thumb:

3. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

definitely no

I remember some kaspersky person saying regarding this as " dont expect ferrari to make small cars " :D

4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Hey there!

You can afford it or you simply don't have card or bank account ? Because there are many other ways you can buy Kaspersky . Where are you from , what is your location ?

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Well , I don't feel like Kaspersky is a Ferrari . It looks more like a tank :D

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha, i may try the 2011 version now with the imaging software :rolleyes:

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

In the past there was the free Kaspersky included in the AOL security program for free. So if Kaspersky is to be free again I imagine it would be as an OEM product which I think is usually a version release behind the current KAV product. I believe Earthlink used Kasppersky recently and it could be found and had fairly easily.

Finding such products as 90 or 180 day trials are not unusual either. But Kaspersky seems pretty consistent anymore about deactivating product keys for those not authorized to receive them.

8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Kaspersky sponsors the Ferrari F1 team though :D.

And ontopic: same answers applies to Kaspersky which applied to Symantec. No never.

9. EternalFunction

EternalFunction Registered Member

You should probably able to obtain original Kaspersky AV/IS in your nearest computer store :)

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

You can use Freeware and get more than enough protection! ;)

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

+1
    Yeah the free stuff is getting just as good as the paid.

12. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

A few have already tried getting Kaspersky to make a freeware and they always turned the idea aside, so I assumed they weren't going to ever make one. The posts I found dated back to '08 and '09.

You could personally go on their forum and ask them, but you would need to analyze the features and help them set limits. That is one way of helping to convince everyone else and their product team. They just need a little convincing, which is a bit easier than begging on your knees like I did with Symantec. I haven't seen Kaspersky shout out numerous evil statements about how free AVs don't make the cut.

Lay down the pros and cons of the free version and you just might have a chance. I am willing to help support the idea if you want me too! :argh:

13. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

KAV will never become freeware (they've thought about this, but they think that a weakened, free version of KAV wouldn't be good enough), and the only way to obtain it for free would be a giveaway. There are other stores to buy it from however, with possibly different paying options.

I personally think KAV ain't worth buying though, but KIS is.

14. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I think that the kaspersky boot CD is as far as free as they will get. Kaspersky is now more mainstream. I remember when it wasn't very well known. Now you can find it right next to Norton at bestbuy. I'm sure that they are loving the revenue and making a free version would only set that back. Unless their advertising department has a change of heart, I doubt it would ever be free.

15. Rampastein

They do have many more free utilities also, like AVZ, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (aka AVPTool), TDSSKiller, etc.

16. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

is somebody bored and just going through the list of vendors and asking vitually the same question?which one is next mcafee?

17. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I don't know. Is it because they are our favorite vendors, and we can't seem to afford their expensive products? o_O Mcafee is crapware and is losing in the never-ending war againt malware. Not to mention their products ugly interface. Even if they do release a freeware product, I doubt many would use it.

Avast!, AVG, Avira, and MSE will beat Mcafee's free product, as they have already beaten Mcafee's paid products. Adobe should offer Norton PC Checkup instead of Mcafee Security Scan because it's scanning engine actually scans the whole computer instead of just running processes (and it can be ran seperately).

18. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Reading about Ferrari and Kaspersky, I couldn't help but imagine this analogy between the 458 Italia and the first v2011 release of KAV/KIS...
    1.jpg

[/OT]

Licenses for paid products can be obtained via promotions, beta testing or other means, so even of you can't afford them, a license is relatively easy to come by.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  19. Rampastein

IMO they should offer nothing. I find both MCSS and NSS pretty bad bloatware with their rogue-antivirus like warnings, and many unexperienced users accidentaly install them on their computers without noticing the small, preticked checkboxes while installing software. I'm happy Kaspersky doesn't have anything similar.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You get Kaspersky products with certain ASUS products (like ROG class motherboards). I've got KAV with ASUS Rampage II Gene motherboard.

But if you're without money, just use avast! Free Antivirus :p

21. steve1955

I only used that as an example!there was a thread on here a few days ago asking whether Norton were likely to release a freeware version:-the same question seems to be doing the rounds!

22. gery

gery Registered Member

Kaspersky used to offer once a certain version of it under another name ( i forgot it but it was changed to McAffe afterward) .It was only for one year i guess then they moved back. But what is the point of doing such a thing . If they do not think they need to give out their software who can blame them anyway.

23. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

lol, That was me. :argh:

Maybe my thread gave php the courage to post this topic. :D

24. steve1955

so its your fault then??:D

25. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

You could look for KAV or KIS at Amazon.com or Ebay (only vendors with a very high to perfect feedback rating for at least 100 transactions).
    Find, if you can, last year's version, install it, then use the free version upgrade they offer.

Look at this;
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&ie=UTF8&qid=1296856744&sr=1-31&condition=new

And this;
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&ie=UTF8&qid=1296856852&sr=1-11&condition=new

-Amazon and Ebay both offer purchase protection on many of their listings, so the risk should be minimal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.