Is Kaspersky a "Red" Herring ?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by wtsinnc, Mar 19, 2015.

1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It's a Bloomberg article, so it must be true...

3. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

I've wondered honestly. It's not surprising to have criminals or law/government employed people work in other areas related to security. Homicide detectives have become body guards and bouncers, and vice versa. It's a certain personality type that gets into security on every side.

4. guest

guest Guest

You don't have to use a product made by Kaspersky.

5. itman

itman Registered Member

Given the current state of affairs presently in Russia, you do have to be a bit leery .................

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Sadly it's true. I know many corporations we deal with refuse to even consider CN or RU security products. Generally because it's known how business takes place, and the ties required to stay in business. For me, I have a fairly deep dislike for the product mostly because I do not believe the inflated 100% claims, and our experiences with it run totally contrary to that. But also because I feel it's buggy, and based on research, untrustworthy.

7. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

Kaspersky Lab hits back at Bloomberg's Russian spy link hit piece • The Register

8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Kaspersky SaaS division went bankrupt, by the way. They totally closed it down. SaaS is a HUGE, growing business right now, but I do not think they had enough trust with the people that needed to trust them for an SaaS solution.

Frankly I am surprised they aren't struggling more than they are with the way things are over there now, and the security situation the way it is now. Best Buy recommending ANYTHING is reason enough to stay away.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It always comes down to "choose your poison", doesn't it?

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

11. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I have to say, it shouldn't be that unexpected to see Kaspersky attack pieces appear in the news, given some of the research Kaspersky have published recently. They've made particular enemies, so they are a target for being discredited.

12. fax

fax Registered Member

13. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

IMO given the state of affairs in Russia in the last years, it is impossible to have a successful bussiness there without any ties to the establishment, so I strongly believe that Kaspersky has them too. Moreover, I strongly dislike the position that Eugene Kaspersky has on privacy matters (even though this is not the subject of the article).

14. 142395

142395 Guest

Agreed, and in more general sense it all depends on your threat model (and your assumption).

15. SLE

SLE Registered Member

At least it is true that Jewgeni goes to banya.
    What a sensational investigative journalismn. Wow.

16. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

As those weird dog memes say "Such sensation, much journalism, WOW". The articles and the "it must be true"s posted here are solely based on speculation without any concrete evidence nothing more nothing less. I also liked Kaspersky's madman style answer.

17. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I dont see why russian computer/security companies should be regarded less influensed/bullied by the government than US-based ones.

18. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

It does. There are different stages of poison. They aren't equivalent. In some cases there still are choices available to ameliorate and eventually eliminate the source.

19. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I totally agree; I can't imagine they are less influenced than US-based ones and haven't been for some time.

If Microsoft will accommodate the U.S. Government by designing a back door by means of intentional coding flaws to it's operating systems, I have absolutely no expectation that American-based computer security software vendors won't/don't work with certain United States government agencies and make available sensitive user data. Even if no true back door exists, one isn't needed when Microsoft or any other business entity is willing to hand over sensitive data "on-demand".
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data
    I further believe that the denial of such activities is standard corporate fare.

I'm not at all worried about being called "paranoid"- not since the revelations and pervasiveness of governmental and institutional spying.
    The only aspects of this I'm not certain of are how long it has been going on and how intrusive it really is.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Kaspersky is arrogant, smug, and sounds obnoxious in his social media feeds. I wouldn't touch their products with a 10 foot pole after reading his musings. I need to donate my unused 10PC Kaspersky license to a charity or something, it has about ... 9 months left. Kaspersky needs to realize this country isn't Russia. In Russia business is conducted in different ways then it is here. I won't take this political, only saying they do things 'differently' over there, which is why their business models and things don't do so well elsewhere.

21. itman

itman Registered Member

There is a difference.

The corruption in Russia has been and presently totally out of control. Starts with highest level of government and works it way download. Most of recent financial malware originates out of Russia via organized crime rings. Actually organized crime has its hands into most large enterprises there.

22. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I'm not so optimistic as that :( But I do believe that one can use them to counteract each other. Like drugs.

23. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Anybody who has actually met him tells quite the opposite story.

But I understand Kaspersky isn't among the line of products you are pushing here at the moment. What is the Holy Grail again this week? TrustPort? Under your old banned account it was ESET ESET ESET ESET, until it suddenly became the heaviest product of all time. Then it was Norton/Asus/Trend, until you've discovered that Norton has been openly collaborating with Ask for years and Asus delivers firmwares, which break key functions of the router.

If anyone is arrogant, smug and obnoxious, it's you with your aggressive product pushing (only to turn on your heel a short time later) and zero tolerance for different opinions. In my opinion you've abused this forum long enough as you own marketing platform .

24. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

Wish I could find the article I read quite a while ago that also suggested Mr. Kaspersky was a cool, calm, collective persona.
    Wonder if DoctorPC would've agreed... :argh:

25. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

It's a sense of living and encouraging the possibility not optimism. It's a dangerous tact to mix the poisons. The lesser stage poison's, healthy attributes become further diluted and less distinguishable. Irrational equivalency results. Better to not accept their premise to begin with.

Best to you, mirimir.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.