Is it True and has Version 9.0 the same too?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by niteghost, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Hi,
    My HD is Partition into C:\ and D:\ . Obviously C:\ as the Primary active Partition, I was told by a friend that unless , I Backup the entire HD, the MBR is Not imaged. I usually just backup the C:\ Partition. thinking that "everything" is Backup, if I screwed up.
    Is that true,cause I DO NOT want to Backup the entire HD, just to protect the MBR? Using Version 8.0 B937 and has this change in Version 9.0.

Thanks.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if i understand u, ur friend is correct. ur MBR will be backed up only if u image the entire disk. heres a previous thread on the issue

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello niteghost,

Not usually a problem if you restore the partition to a drive that already contains a serviceable MBR. However, that isn't the case if you need to restore the partition to a brand new, unpartitioned, hard drive. Should you ever find yourself in this situation then you could use one of the following workarounds:

Restore the partition to the new drive. Boot into the Windows Recovery Console via a Win XP installation CD and issue the command fixmbr. In the case of Windows 9X you will need to boot from a Windows startup floppy and issue the command fdisk /mbr. Alternatively, download Acronis' <mbrautowrite.exe file>, run it to extract the MBR utility onto a formatted floppy disk. Boot from the floppy disk and confirm that you want to fix the MBR (if you don't have a floppy drive then download the <CD ISO version> instead).

Regards

4. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Thanks, Menorcaman for your expertise reply. I am not sure what you meant by a ""serviceable MBR" , sorry for my ignorance. Is it using the XP Recovery CD to FixMBR and FIXBOOT, using Optiion "r" in the Recovery Console of XP , if the MBR is corrupted??

Thanks Again

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.