Is it the browser, Firefox or Add-ons that make it good

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zmechys, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Just for you. :) All enabled, no issues.

They all do something a bit different. Some are informational only, some help in specific task or save time to do things, others are security in nature. I do have extensions that overlap but there are features in each that don't.

3. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

Would it be difficult for you just write down all your extensions/add-ons?

Could those extensions be "leaking" some private information about you?

Some old news:

"Privacy concerns over popular ShowIP Firefox add-on"
    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/05/01/privacy-concern-showip-firefox-add-on/

http://billstclair.com/matrix/ar01s05.html
    "Desktop and Web Browser Extensions"
    "...The major threat with web browser extensions and desktop plugins is that they will transmit a unique user id over the same Tor circuit that you happen to be using to anonymously access a website. Weather monitoring extensions are particularly dangerous because they can transmit zip codes or even address information to retrieve local weather conditions. Likewise for link collection services such as delicious, stumbleupon, and flickr."

4. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi, I added NoScript & ABP as recommended and it does seem to make a noticeable difference in speed. I especially notice it at "slow" sites like boston.com, NYTimes, or Yahoo which seem to load much quicker now.

But I notice with NS it shows at the bottom what it blocks but sometimes it says partial block or some items. Is that normal? And I have both NS & ABP installed with the default configuration. Are there any settings changes you would recommend? Earlier on this thread some posters mentioned NS to prevent tracking, can that be enabled fairly easily or is that likely not worth it unless a more expert user?

Thanks again.

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It's best to get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Fix that link, you cannot access that file on your computer :p

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, sorry I just figured that. Doh!

Check it now. ;)

8. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

No need write them down, as mentioned above in one of my post, I have an extension that does that.

No. Not by my definition of "private information' anyway.

9. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

About changes to default settings in NoScript. In Options>Embeddings, there are options available that you can tick to block, Flash, Java, Silverlight, other plugins, IFrames. Myself, I placed a tick on all of them. If you do, for example, when you go to a site where you want to allow Flash, you can click on "Temporarily allow all of this page". That allows you to watch Flash contents on the site but when you close your browser, the site gets removed from the Whitelist.

Also, in Options>Embeddings, I untick "Show placeholder icon" and tick "Collapse blocked objects". Those changes make webpages a lot prettier.;)

Read this link about the Untrusted blacklist, you can start using it now or a few months from now, it doesn't matter. Take your time with NoScript and you ll like it. Learning NoScript takes time but after a while all starts making sense.
    http://noscript.net/features#blacklist

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.