Is It Still Working?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by stringbob, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stringbob

stringbob Registered Member

The restore display screen is mostly non-updating. The only things working(?) are the suboperation bar and the file list. The last file posted to the list was arc_xxxxxx.039 Should I be concerned about this status, or is it normal?

A little history:
    After a system crash, I began restoring my 192gig image Sunday evening at 8pm. I used the recovery CD method because the windows recovery wizard wouldn't work. I also had to tell bios to look at the usb devices as if they were fixed disks so the drive holding the image could be recognized. I then had to choose Safe Mode from the recovery CD to get everything to play. (I was a wee bit shocked when it reported the restore would take 22 hours to complete, but I would certainly be grateful if it does what it claims)

I'm using Backup 9.0 Express
    1.6 ghz core duo
    Windows XP sp2

Thanks for your help.

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello stringbob,

A couple of things to be concern about. First off, if in safe mode, you're able to restore from the external hard drive, performance may be drastically affected. Safe mode does not natively support USB devices, but when it does, it sees your external HD as an internal with sub par performance.

Secondly, in the store Window, is the program scrolling through all the files it's restoring? If so, it means you're restoring the archive to a smaller hard drive or partition.

If your archive is 192GB of data, we're looking at the fastest under ideal settings - 6 hours. If you're not too far into the restore, see if you can detect the USB hard drive in Normal Mode, and make sure you restore to the same size partition or larger.

Good luck.

3. stringbob

While in the normal mode, it could not detect the usb drive containing the image. Kind of strange because it saw my other usb drives. Also, in the normal mode, it got hung up on "scanning Drive". Although it didn't show me that message until I double-clicked the drive. Then it would flash the Scanning Drive message for one second, and return to the drive selection page.

As for the store window. there is no scrolling taking place. As a file is restored (I hope) it places that file on the bottom of the list. File arc_xxxxxx.03e just dropped in.

As for the partition size, I didn't change anything from the recommendation. Hopefully the program gave me the correct information.

I'm currently 15 hours into the initially reported 21.5 hours required to restore. )It's like the drive spec has been changed to usb 1.1, or less if there is such a thing.) Anyway, because of the supposed progress, I think I'll hang in there for the remaining 6.5 hours to see what happens.

thanks for your response!

4. stringbob

Re: Is It Still Working? Yes!

24 hours after it started, it finished. Everything is working fine!! You guys rock! The thing I learned, although I certainly knew it, but didn't abide by it, if you are constantly generating new files, as I am, you need to create images more often. Because I also do regular backups to two other external drives, I didn't really lose anything, but I have to go back and recreate files from the regular backups. It would have been easier to let Paragon do it for me.

Did I mention, You Guys Rock!

5. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Bob,

I'm glad the operation was successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.