Is it sensible to take year free of Kaspersky AV 2013 when 2014 is out now?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by conceptualclarity, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conceptualclarity

conceptualclarity Registered Member

At http://usa.kaspersky.com/kav-offer, one can now download a year's license of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2013! for free. Of course, Kaspersky AV 2014 is now out. AV 2014 has some impressive-sounding new features :

Zero-day, Exploit and Targeted Attack (ZETA) Shield Technology
    http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/pdf/kaspersky-lab_whitepaper_zeta-shield_eng_final.pdf

Automatic Exploit Prevention technology, which scans programs for behavior typically found in exploits
    http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/...er_automatic_exploit_prevention_eng_final.pdf

improved protection against ransomware
    http://usa.kaspersky.com/about-us/p...ches-kaspersky-anti-virus-2014-kaspersky-inte

improved scan time
    http://usa.kaspersky.com/about-us/press-center/in-the-news/kaspersky-internet-security-2014

Suppose your budget is tight and you don't want to buy an AV. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and get Kaspersky 2013, which did extremely well in recent testing?

Has anybody run Kaspersky together with another AV like avast!? I know the saying absolutely only one AV. But some AVs are made to be compatible, like Emsisoft, Webroot, Coranti, Baidu, ClamWin / Clam Sentinel, and others. I have read that some people successfully run avast! and Panda together.

I might just get Kaspersky 2013 and keep avast! as an on-demand scanner if I can do that.

2. osmandemi

osmandemi Registered Member

Promotional Code o_O?

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

can you no longer upgrade for free from themo_O you used to be able to upgrade to the newest version for free

4. conceptualclarity

Oh, I'm sure if you've paid for it in the past 12 months you can upgrade for free. It would outrageous for it to be otherwise.

5. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

hi conceptualclarity, can you provide the promo code for the same..

thanks, harsha.

6. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

I think the promotion code is unique to the offer. You can't use the same code twice.

Note that these freebies tend to be restricted. You get the 2013 version and it won't update to 2014, as an example.

Do you *really* need a free non-updatable KAV 2013? You could just as easily find a cheap KAV 2012 code - at least that will activate KAV 2014!

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Things must've changed at Kaspersky then.

Because using them KAV/KIS for ~4yrs till a couple years ago. You were ALWAYS entitled to download & use the newest version if you had 1 day or more left on a license.

Can't believe Kaspersky changed this.

8. fax

fax Registered Member

It applies only to these specific keys not for all the others. :)

9. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

10. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

No, it's not weird at all. Those, who have bought a license, will always be able to upgrade to the newest version as long as that license is still active. The free offer however is restricted to the 2013 version. What's weird about that?

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ok not weird. :)

12. c2d

c2d Registered Member

What's the code?

13. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

There is no general code.

14. moxxey

moxxey Registered Member

Exactly. It's just a restriction of the giveaway version. You know, the one you get without paying! They aren't giving you a free license for a year, where you can use it with the 2014 (and, maybe, the 2015 edition next year), they are giving you 2013 which you can test-drive for a year, free.

But this isn't a promo that should be listed here. It's a closed offer which requires a unique promo code to redeem!

15. conceptualclarity

I apologize profusely. :oops:

What happened is I was looking at some interesting software on a mostly Arabic-language website. I saw something in English there about an offer of Kaspersky 2013 for free but couldn't see all I needed. So I searched the relevant terms on the Internet and found the webpage I listed above. In my enthusiasm I overlooked the required line for promotional code. Later I went back and did more searching. I was able to find that Kaspersky has offered its 2013 version for free to the mainland Chinese and to the Republic of Gaming folks. I called Kaspersky support asking for the promotional code, and they told me that page was only for people whom they sent out the offers to.

I have learned a lesson from this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.