is it safe to uninstall sandboxie w/ revo uninstaller?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by imdb, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

is it?
    thanks

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I kind of dislike using programs like Revo to uninstall other programs, specially when the program that I want to uninstall, uninstalls easily and clean using its own uninstaller or doing it from Control panel. Regardless of how you do it, make sure to delete the sandbox before uninstalling.

In Sandboxies case, I recommend you use its own uninstaller that can be found in the All programs menu>Sandboxie. Choose "Uninstall (remove) the existing installation and settings" if you don't plan to reinstall Sandboxie.

Bo

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

It should be safe.

Revo firstly tries to launch the normal uninstaller of the program (the one found in the Windows' panel called "Add/Remove Programs").

The scan for leftovers usually comes after that step is done (the user can select the sensitivity of the scan, as well as which detected leftovers should be removed).

I use Revo Portable here without troubles.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I use comodo programs manager also which finds stuff that revo misses.:)

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

SandboxIE owner uninstaller does a good work.

Since I'm not sure that it request or not a reboot, I advice: if a reboot is required my recomendation is to NOT uninstall with Revo (Free version or payware version).

Revo and many others are unable to handle with app. that need a reboot to uninstall! And several types of issues will can happen...

6. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I don't think this is true. It's more like a misconception.

Usually, when the program's uninstallers ask for a reboot, they put a special script to run during the startup that delete what they couldn't delete without reboot.

And they give a choice to reboot now or later.

Revo simply recommends to pick "later" in the reboot warning, run its own scan, clean the leftovers, and, after this is done, reboot as previously recommended.

The special script of the program's own uninstaller will run normally - Revo doesn't touch it.

7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

uninstall sandboxie w/ revo uninstaller?

Unfortunately it is not "like a misconception".

In your example supposes that "they put a special script to run during the startup", that is in, e.g., in their program folder (likely through a pending move operation); the third part uninstaller, when doing a leftovers cleanning, removes that script that was in their program folder. The owner app. uninstaller can't anymore to do their work, when requested in reboot...

Developers of third part uninstallers like Soft Organizer, ZSoft Uninstaller and Total Uninstall always give advice to leave owner uninstaller to do their work firstly. E.g. (from 'Soft Organizer' developer):
    Uninstallers Software like Revo (Free and Payware versions), Comodo Programs Manager, Uninstall Tool payware, etc., can't handle well with app. that needs to reboot. The same with freewares like GeekUninstaller, Wise Program Uninstaller, IObit Uninstaller, etc..

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thank you all, guys. but now i'm confused. i'm not sure which method to perform when uninstalling sbie but i guess it "sounds" slightly healthier to use its own uninstaller, right?
    guess i better ask tzuk about it, though i don't got an account @ sbie forum and i'm too lazy to create one :p

9. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

I know Total Uninstall allows the reboot and then continues to look for leftovers\debris after the system restarts.

10. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Healthier! not only that, using Sandboxies uninstaller:cool: its the way you are supposed to uninstall SBIE when you do. Imdb, Sandboxie installs/uninstalls in about 15 seconds without problems, you don't need anything else to uninstall Sandboxie.

Bo

11. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Yes, SandboxIE has their owner uninstaller that does a clean uninstall!

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thank you, club. i'll give it a shot for general uninstall purposes.

thank you, bo. i just wanted to make sure there's as minimum debris & leftover as possible left behind.

thank you, mo. i hope it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.