Is it Practical To SuRun w/ Deep Freeze

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by EASTER, Feb 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I think i've achieved a master protection scheme by using just these "4" security apps on a single workstation.

They include DEEP FREEZE + Anti-Executable + HIPS= EQS rounding these out with famous SandboxIE because they ALL are 100% compatible together .

To add the icing to the cake with such a safe iron wall i propose to include SuRun to keep LUA as the cap for them all to repel any potential for forced admin rights elevation?

Is this in your experience and opinion really an intelliigent move as well as practical?

Do you see any reason why this combination wouldn't add for all sensible & safe purposes the very final log chain to securing an XP system?

I can always abort DF + AE just long enough to add safe apps or even insert them to AE's whiltelist while DF is suspended temporarily?

Thanks for making all of us more prepared than common basic apps.

2. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I have quite similar setup but different programs. I have Shadow Defender (Paid), Sandboxie (Paid) and Online Armor (Free) plus LUA with SuRun Beta and SPR (and DEP). This kind of setup is so light and easy to use. I can give my computer to anyone and say just do what ever you like.

*EDIT: .EML .JS .JSE .MSG .SCT .SHB .VBE .VBS .WSF .WSH .XLM .XLS <- Added to SRP extension list, .LNK removed.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@TLU

In your experience and reading MikeNsh's combination, would you agree that running the combination like this with SuRun is an idea setup for a near sealed environment as close as any user could possibly attain in the face of almost if not all forced potential threats?

Do you see any holes in this particular configuration? User Mode attacks as well as attempts at elevating to Admin privileges?

It appears very Logical and concrete.

Thanks EASTER

4. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

@ Easter

How are you going about running Sandboxie in LUA mode? I find the only way I can do it is to open the Sandboxed web browser using SuRun. The problem I am running into is how to run anything else sandboxed while in LUA.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Good question as i've not yet employed SuRun before asking advice from users liek yourself and any others if this is at all workable without too much user restriction. The last thin we need is not to have any access at all to SandboxIE, but something tells me (speculation) that surely it can be either started or run as Admin while the other apps also can start as Admin thereby hopefully in some Limited fashion but then we run into the problem these apps needs Admin rights at least to install, thereafter it's a mystery whether or not they can still be of use after their rights are lowered but then wouldn't they become vulnerable to userland misuse?

I'm in as much the dark as you, maybe tlu can help shed some light on this, especially as concerns SandboxIE.

Thus my question remains as above.................

6. Threedog

I will have to keep a watch to see what others are saying also. I am trying out Defencewall right now with administrator set up. When I get done seeing how it works out I might go back to Sandboxie and LUA and work on that.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm looking foward to expecting this type of repelling of the possibilty for that in an ISR.

8. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@Threedog: I´m running Sandboxie in a restricted account and I don´t have any problems sandboxing applications such as web, mail, mediaplayer etc.

/C.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Cerxes

Is that with or without also using the app SuRun

Thanks

10. Threedog

For some reason I cant get it to work right on mine. Couldn't have had something set right. I'm not using sandboxie right now anyways. I think with LUA and an AV alone is all I need. I don't venture to the dark side anyways. Just news, weather and Wilders. :D

11. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Without SuRun. I´ve no need of using it since all my applications works great in a restricted account (with the exception of that darn JDeveloper), and because of old habit I always enter admin mode when installing/updating applications instead of using Run As, SuRun etc.

/C.

12. Threedog

Maybe that is where I ran into my problem. I installed sandboxie on my LUA account using SuRun instead of fast switching over to my admin account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.