Is it possible to restore from this backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by philipio, Nov 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philipio

philipio Registered Member

Hi.

First of all, let me tell you I'm new to all this backup stuff.

I had Norton Ghost recommended as a tool for performing the function I want to do. So I lobbed out £40 for it and it will not install on my system - I spent days trying to install it to no avail - it is now for sale on ebay.

I decided to give Acronis True Image Trial a go after reading favourable reviews versus Ghost on Amazon's reviews pages.

Downloaded it, got it set up on the system and hey presto - I was away. I want to write an entire disk image (including OS) with a view to using it to restore back to a bigger hard drive (100gb) I've bought for my laptop. Simple eh ?

Then I discovered its limitations re: backing up directly to DVD.

No problem - rather than install Nero or something else, I set the program to write the backup directly to my c drive and split the archive into DVD sized chunks (4.7gb). The program created 4 .tib files on my desktop which I then burned individually to brand new DVD+RW disks using existing burning software called "Sateira CD&DVD Burner". I also created the ATI Bootable Rescue Media disk on a CDRW using ATI.

So now my question is this. Will the program allow me to restore the archive I have made, given that it is split over 4 individually burned disks ? The reason I have doubts that it will, is simply because of the split. If I had allowed ATI to write directly to DVDs during the archive process, it would have created a single volume over 4 contiguous disks wouldn't it? Is my archive going to be classed as 4 volumes by the program and be problematic ?

2. philipio

philipio Registered Member

Well having had no replies to my initial post (plenty of views though - thanks all), I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I just swapped the old hard drive for the new one and started trying to use this archive by restoring it, having booted from the Bootable Rescue Media Disk I created earlier.

Results are not good I'm afraid.

The 4th DVD of the four is supposed to be the last volume of the archive, but Acronis would not recognise it as such. It just kept saying that this was NOT the last volume of the archive and would not let me continue.

I'm going to go back and give Ghost another try.

I can't believe that something as fundamental as data backup can be so ill-served by the software development world.

3. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

If I am not mistaken, the largest single file that can be burned to a DVD is limited to 2 gb in the DVD specs. Therefore 4.7 gb files can not be read.

I create the .tib file in CD size (700 mb) chunks and burn 6 of them to a DVD. It has also been stated on this forum to use the value of 1492 mb and burn 3 of those to a DVD.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello philipio,

If you intend to burn a DVD-ROM (UDF) compilation then set TI's split file size to 4.3 GB. Otherwise, set TI's split file size to 1492 MB and burn up to 3 .tib files per disk as a DVD-ROM (ISO) compilation.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.