Is it possible to purchase a "lifetime" upgrade for NOD32?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Xophile, May 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xophile

Xophile Registered Member

Hi!

I'm a very satisfied NOD32 user since 2003, and just love it!

My license will expire in August this year and I will definately renew it. Last Christmas I was given an offer for "lifetime upgrades" for Outpost Firewall which I purchased immediately and now I'm wondering if Eset are planning/thinking about doing the same thing sometime? Or maybe it's already possible?

I'm currently a student and noticed there are some discounts. When I checked Eset's website the discount was only 4$. I may sound a bit greedy but $4 is not a very good discount :)

What would be the cheapest for me to do? I'm planning on purchasing a 2 year renewal. I noticed there are several sites selling NOD32 licenses.

Thanks in advance!

/Matt

2. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

There is no "lifetime upgrades" for software unless it is for new software trying to establish a presence among a few early adopters, or if a a product is mature and requires none/few development, or if the product is dead with no future and the company is trying to squeeze the last drop of profit from it.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

You should perhaps contact Eset directly regarding your question.

4. Xophile

Of course there are "lifetime upgrades" for software, what are you talking about?

As I said in my previous post, Outpost Firewall had this offer during Christmas. Since then they have released many new upgrades. My license of WinRAR (which I purchased 3 years ago!) is a "lifetime upgrade", no strings attached! I get every single upgrade for free. My license of FlashFXP works that way too. And there are many other examples where the software in fact still is being developed.

5. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Xophile, I agree with you! I did the same with outpost by the way. And you can do it with much more good programs. The first anti-virus programs with lifetime keys are erupted also. So maybe Eset can think of this too. Use the corporate version for the big money and make lifetime use possible for normal customers.

6. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

You mean life-time subscription, as the upgrades are available for all the subscribers. Dont forget that some other AV companies dont offer free upgrade, even if u are a subscriber (look norton).

7. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi Matt, A good question. I really don't know what ESET thinks about that but from a business perspective I think that GaryRW was pretty close to the mark except I'll add that it may be a viable thing for business if the same customers are also purchasing some other related subscription, or if a business want to raise funds and offer 'lifetime' only to a limited number. Typically a lifetime option on licenses tend to cost and extra 4 times the full purchase price.
    With NOD32 I'm sure Stephanos G. meant the right thing. If you have a valid subscription you get everything :)

As far as your purchase goes just contact your local reseller - NOD32 is priced pretty much the same worldwide, but your local reseller will be there if you need support for any reason :)
    Where I am there's a student discount for ID producing purchasers only on the twelve month license. :)
    HTH

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Do you live in the USA, Xophile? :)

9. Xophile

No, I don't. I thought people could notice that by reading my bad English :)

I live in Sweden, but I do have visited the US a few times...

Why do you ask Firecat?

10. Firecat

Well, Student Licenses are available at http://www.nod32-av.com for USD 19.95 per year, but I'm not quite sure if you can buy from there, because I was able to buy only because I couldnt obtain student licenses in my country.

If you are not able to obtain student licenses in Sweden, you might purchase from http://www.nod32-av.com

11. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

Hi, I have Outpost as a firewall as well, did they contact you about the lifetime upgrade?

How much did you pay for the license.

12. Edwin024

It was a December action on their website. And I paid something like 28 euros or so I think.

13. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

The problem with Lifetime upgrades or subscriptions:

1. Once you buy it... does it last for only the version you are running so that updates to different "versions", its good for that... some products don't ...
    2. Once your license key leaks out it gets shared throughout the net, by the time NOD finds out hundreds if not thousands of subscribers will either get free lifetime subscriptions, or they will "all" have to be cut off the server?
    3. It like buying a lifetime membership to your local workout gym.... once so many subscriptions are sold... especially if the company is sold to another person, the profit poteintial becomes nil, as overhead for maintaining the subscribers continually grows with wage increases, building expenses etc all the whiles the income levels out and can't keep up?
    This forces companies to go bankrupt and change thier name and emerge as something else to get out of all the free contracts, and/or forces them to really raise the price to maintain fresh income from the new buyers.
    What makes a company grow is not only to obtain fresh customers, but maintain income from the ones they have?
    If you have a free subscription to anything.... its existence for long is in jeopardy, unless they have absolutley no overhead from maintaining the old customers... like music players, graphic converters, etc..... an antivirus company is constantly interacting by computer with all its old customers and having to "in essence" 'maintain their AV program for ever without furthur pay?
    Think about it, if you owned the company... would you make such a decision?
    I especially would not be the first to try it... If I say other av programs do it successfully "ie: more than five years of existence", then maybe I would try it.... but I think we would be setting NOD up for failure.

14. Edwin024

Well, I guess Outpost will live longer than this year alone ;)

And I now use Netveda, which is totally free. And Netveda isn't really new either.

15. windstrings

I too have some programs that will upgrade indefinately... winzip, graphicworshop and a few others...
    But my point is... none of those have to let me access thier computers several times a day for updates and on a reliable basis be able to be able to upload info to me.... its like selling apples.... you sell an apple... someone eats it.. you done with it....
    But if you sell a machine that needs continuous maintaintence to run... then you can't sell it with an unlimited lifetime price for the maintainence. Your NOD program will work forever.. it just won't update forever! An antivirus program needs continuous maintanence even several times a day to be a good program... otherwise its trash....
    That type of program can maintain an increasing # of clients with only getting revenue from the new clients alone?... It will finally choke them one way or another.. either the price goes too high for new clients or service suffers and the updates are lame and deficient.... " sound like any AV's you know of?

NOD is one program I am proud to pay for... its well worth is trouble for a daily service and lube job which last for a year for the measly price they ask.....
    Im absolutly amazed AV companies can do what they do.
    Its easy to make a mess "ie:create a virus".. its quite another to clean it up!...
    That takes reverse engineering etc and alot of man hours....
    Its astonishing how many new viruses come out every dayo_O??
    To protect from all that fast, efficiently, and so cheaply I am blown away they can do it?
    I say, if you are anybody else can do it as good for cheaper or with lifetime memberships let them do it... until then I don't want NOD to be the first and jeapardize the existence of the awesome program it is?

If you are going to compare other programs... its only fair to use other antivirus programs "if you can find anyo_O" because they are the only ones that service on a daily basis with so much maintainance. Antitrogan programs come in close next.. but even they only update once a week or so.
    Once upon a time AV programs could get away with that type of update frequency.. but no more.
    I expect NOD will go up in price if anything.. they are already the best program out there for almost the cheapest in my meager opinion.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Well said Windstrings. :)

17. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

Well said, windstrings. I'm always amazed how many people expect great things for nothing; especially the ones that would not work for free themselves. Think, folks, for less than ONE latte a MONTH you help support quality software.

But, I confess, I too have survived on successive free beta's for several titles. My first virus was caught by AVG awhile back. (...and you know the sentiment that persists for the FIRST!! :D )

I think the best business model for software is pay-as-you-go. It's fair for the buyer because they receive ongoing product advancement and support in exchange for a nominal fee. And if a better prodduct comes along, they can choose it without losing a large one-time investment. And the developer receives a more steady income and an incentive to progress the product to keep customers and income. And with the millions of PC's a product that costs even $1/mo can earn a large income.

18. windstrings

Yea.. I agree... I don't want to offend the person that expressed his opinion about wanting lifetime membership. It good to express ideas. Its also good to have them challenged. I understand that everytime I throw my opinions out that chances are someone will disagree... often the ones that don't respond are the ones that disagree!..

but nevertheless its hard to challenge viewpoints without appearing to demean the other view and cause offense? that is never my intent.. I just like a good verbal sqaubble sometimes I guess?

We all want everything for free.... in fact, everytime some asks me "can I do anything for you?".. I ask them for the winning lottery #'s!!!

But I just want to express what others may have not realized about NOD.. they are free to disagree... maybe they know more than me about the subject... that what makes the world go round!

I tend to be very opinionated and I don't like what I don't like and I like what I like...
    At this point in time... NOD is the cats meow!...
    I admit since I found NOD.. I have not done my homework on other AV programs... It too pleased to worry about it.. I have plenty of other things to improve and fix about my life, and my computer without worrying about a program that works so well?
    Its tough to find a program with so many plus's.. usually you have to install several different programs to feel secure.. and if you do find a good one.. it usually slugs and kills your speed... NOD does it all.. its not perfect.... but its close enough for me. I can always think of things I could change, but then I may remove service someone else needs?

I can say, that I can't think of one thing another AV has that I wish I had in NOD. True some others have a larger AV base, but who cares if they are "zoo viruses" that I will never encounter? If those ever get released, then NOD will add them too, so why worry?

Why should I slow my system down and spend money on what I am not in danger of?

Thats like taking antibiotics for a germ that lives in some culture dish in china somewhere that I will never encounter? We don't guard against smallpox because for now its not released?

anyway, I've drifted off the subject again.

19. Xophile

Wow, this thread really boomed in the last few days :)

I'm the user who asked the question in the first place...

The reason I asked is simply because Outpost had this "offer" and as far as I can tell, NOD32 and Outpost cooperate in several ways (the offer only last for a very limited time too). Therefor I just asked a innocent question. I don't expect Eset to offer lifetime upgrades to everyone, every day for 20 bucks. I also agree with windstrings, there IS a big difference since AV applications depend on the fact that the program must be updated every single day (well, mostly every day atleast) and Outpost simply puts up a 5mb updated version every now and then.

Anyway, I appreciate your thoughts and hope you don't think "Oh no, not Xo again!! Isn't he the one who...cheap bastard... ..." everytime you read one of my posts in the future :)

Take care!

/Xo

20. Firecat

I certainly will not think that way, and I definitely do not think you are a "cheap bastard".

21. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

Aren't we all at heart? :D

22. windstrings

Maybe a Bastard, or just cheap, but certainly not Both!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding! *puppy* Ha Ha.. He He!!! :D :D o_O :( :mad: :oops: :rolleyes: :-* :blink: :blink: :blink:

Hope you can take a joke :eek:

Sorry.. you set yourself up too perfect for that one :D

23. Xophile

You're gonna pay for that one!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.