Is it possible to clone disk but put into different PC

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ylpaul, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ylpaul

ylpaul Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I am new here, I need a little help for finding this answer. recently, I have used MigrateEasy to clone disk, but I am not sure if i could purchase another PC which has totally different hardware, and put this cloned harddisk into this new computer. so do you guys think it will work for my new PC, and run the system perfectly as original one? thanks in advance!

Lee

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

probably not, especially if the motherboard and video cards are entirely different it will probably not work.

I've restored a clone hard drive from one computer to another, but the video cards where the same and the cpu's where the same. It booted up and all I had to do is install the new motherboard drivers. But I think that was just luck and not a usual outcome.

True image has a universal restore addon feature, that will restore a clone from one computer to a different computer, but it's an expensive program. Sometimes it's just easier and the recommended procedure to load a fresh copy of windows on a new computer.

But it won't hurt to try and see if the clone hard drive will bootup the new computer. It might work.

3. laserfan

laserfan Registered Member

Take a look at this article from Acronis which suggests an approach to use with Migrate Easy.

If you try it, please come-back here and let us know if it works for you!

4. rvega

rvega Registered Member

You can likely do this looking into Microsofts SysPrep Utility. You have to do some work with driver setup for chipsets but it is possible, is it easy doing it from scratch? Not so much, but it will allow you to do what your wanting to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.