is it possible to browse a multi-part tib archive without the final archive volume?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by florinnache, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. florinnache

florinnache Registered Member

[MOVE]o_O there... i'll say it ... I f...ked up again.[/MOVE]

Recently I made a backup of my computer using Acronis True Image 9 E edition and burned the files onto 2 dvds and a normal CD.

I lost the cd, the final part of the splitted image (~200 MB) and now i'm trying to recover some file, which I hope there are still to be found on one of the other 2 backup image parts.

The TI 9 displays an error message "[GLOW="a"]The selected file is not an A TI Enterprise Server archive or is corrupted"[/GLOW].

I Know for a fact that the parts are not corrupted so, I would have only one answer to the problem - on the final archive, the 200 mb one, there were the file allocation tables for the backup or smth like that.

HEEELP Please - is it possible to browse the remaining parts of the back-up? and how can I do that.

Are there any third party products that can browse tib back-up files?

For ever grateful to anyone who can lend me a helping ideea.

2. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Simple answer NO you are not.

WHen you made incremental images your need the full plus all of the incrementals or just the first incremental plus the full

When you made differential images you need the full plus 1 of the differentials or just the full.

so theres your answer

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The last volume of an archive contains all the metadata that tells TI just what is what in the body of the archive so without it you are really toast. Actually, if you lose any part of a full archive you are toast.

No program AFAIK will restore part of an archive.

4. florinnache

Re: is it possible to browse a multi-part tib archive without the final archive volum

seekforever, thanks for the info.

Nevertheless, i hoped tofind at least a thrid party software that could, in the worst case, brute-force open the images.

I'm not interested in restoring that hard disk image, just to be able to browse it in some manner so i could copy onto my pc the data I need.

Have you guys heard of the existence of such a third-party software that can help view, not restore, the info within the multi part archive?

I should specify that it is not an incremental image. I made that image once, before formatting the hdd and there were no information added afterwards.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: is it possible to browse a multi-part tib archive without the final archive volum

Hello florinnache,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

I'm afraid that I must confirm jeremyotten's and seekforever's statements as there is no way to restore\mount the multivolume backup archive, i.e. the backup archive split into several parts, if at least one volume\part is missing.

As for deleting incremental\differential backups, please take a look at this previous post of mine.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. florinnache

thanks for the interest you've shwon regarding my problem, Alex.

Fortunately, I managed to recover the files I needed and now the problem is solved.

However you are right. There is no way one can recover any files form such a disasterous misplace of a cd :( . I managed to find a backup tape so I managed to keep my job :).

For the future could you Acronis guys implement an option in trueimage where one can save on each and every cd/dvd of a multipart archive the file allocation table on every disk?

This could help when one incounters problems like I did.

10x again ... To GOD !!! i found that

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello florinnache,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please clarify what you mean exactly by saving the file allocation table to every CD\DVD containing volumes of the multivolume backup archive? Please describe the desired actions in more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.