Is it okay to locate Acronis Secure Zone on removable drive ??

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by boblite, Apr 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boblite

boblite Registered Member

I would like to locate Acronis Secure Zone on a removable hard drive that I lock up in a fireproof safe all the time except when doing backup. Is there any problem doing that ? (Obviously I would only do manual backups and not use the backup scheduler.) Will appreciate advice on this.

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you are using a removable drive AND locking it away in a safe, then there is no need to use the SZ at all. In fact that would only be adding another thing to go wrong since, with the SZ, only True Image can access it. Better not to use it and just put your backup Images on the drive like any other file, which can be see by Windows Explorer.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't think putting the SZ on a removable drive is recommended since the system will be looking for it and it may not be present.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Chutesman and Seekforever are both correct. Don't use a Secure Zone on the external drive.

You cannot copy backup images from the Secure Zone to any other locatation, and you cannot burn them to DVDs if that turned out to be desirable.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Whilst I agree that there can be complications if a secure zone is set up on a removable drive it can be very useful if set up on a second slave drive.
    The oft repeated statement that one cannot copy or burn from a secure zone is strictly true. However if an image in a secure zone is first mounted as a virtual drive using the Acronis wizard such operations can indeed be done .

Xpilot.

6. seekforever

To confirm my understanding of your post:
    IfI have some images in the SZ I can find an mount them like any other TI image. Once I do that I can copy files and folders but am I able to see the .tib files to copy them to optical disk or are you referring to just the files and folders within the .tib files?

7. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello Xpilot,

This statement of yours whetted my brain's appetite too. Do explain, please.

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Images in a Secure zone can be mounted as a virtual drive. To do this one must open TI in Windows and select an image from the secure zone and choose to mount it. After a few seconds a drive letter is assigned and the virtual drive then exists. It is no longer compressed and is now the same size as the source drive.
    With this VD in place one can perform various operations with it just as if it was a normal drive. I have only tested it as far as making copies of some sections of it. It was of no interest to me to see if this virtual drive could be backed up in its turn to create a new Tib file. If there is a need give it a try and see if it works.

I will be back but I have just had a crash of the third kind. A **** Pheasant has flown through a downstairs window. Unfortunately he did not check to see if it was open!! He survived the encounter...The Window did not so I have to do some emergency repairs .

Xpilot.

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

He He! there must be some kind of Nanny filter in operation here. I had correctly described the male pheasant as a C**K pheasant and this inoffensive C word was replaced by ****. I was not using rude words I promise!
    I wonder if this post will be changed in any way!

Xpilot

10. seekforever

I wonder what happened when Daniel Boone cocked his rifle at the Alamo?

I had a large window destroyed by a partridge once which also got him. Since the blind was down and closed behind it I was surprised until I went out the next afternoon and saw the most perfect reflection of trees and blue sky in the other window.

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

That one's an automatic filter ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.