Is it ok to have a complete disk backup image on same drive as my operating system?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zoril, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Hi there:)

I have only one hard drive. Is it possible to save the complete Acronis disk drive image to this same drive that has all my files and my Windows 98SE operating system?

I currently dont have a spare external drive, or any other spare storage hardware!...

If so, after creating an Acronis rescue boot disk, can I restore the complete hard drive image from that backup? I guess in a nutshell I just would like to know if 2 drives are essential or not, to benefit from the complete disk image backup?

I assume having only one hard drive, that I couldn't format it first in the event of a crash, or else I would lose the backup in the format?....

I should maybe add that my Drive is currently FAT32, 32 gig, and is not split into partitions. I have just the one C:\ drive!...

I read through the forum and the help file, but didn't see a specific answer to my question...

Any reply is much appreciated.

Howard

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Re: Is it ok to have a complete disk backup image on same drive as my operating syste

Hi, zoril

Welcome to the Forums.

That is what the Secure Zone [SZ] is for. [you are one of the kind of user it is for, with only one HDD.]

that is why you need the SZ, because in restoring a Image Ti will need to overwrite the Partition on HDD [but will not touch the SZ] to complete the restore.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Many thanks for the reply:)

So does that means that I could in fact format my hard drive yet still not lose the information stored in the secure zone prior to the format?

Howard

4. TheQuest

Re: Is it ok to have a complete disk backup image on same drive as my operating syste

Hi, zoril

The short answer is Yes, but you must be very careful has to what you use and how you format the rest of the HDD. You must not destroy the SZ.

As I said Ti does the deleting and formatting of the Partition when it restores the Image.

If you let Ti do it for you you will be in safe hands.

Take Care,

5. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Yes a very good point!

What worries me is this - I tend to wipe or erase free space on my drive fairly regularly using CyberscrubPrivacySuite Professional. I was hoping that I could continue using this re deleting documents, invoices and erasing previously deleted data etc...

Cyberscrub can wipe free space, slack, scramble file names etc! Would this software destroy the security zone or not?? Or is the security zone in such a place on the hard drive that it will be safe? Is there any way that I can tell if an "erase free space" type product will damage the sz or not?

Much obliged for your help....

Howard

6. TheQuest

Hi, zoril

I am not know any thing about CyberscrubPrivacySuite Professional.

As "Windows" can not see the SZ, I very much doubt if you scrubber will see it.

Take Care,

7. zoril

zoril Registered Member

I would say you are right.

The secure zone must surely be in an area where normal software, erasers would be unable to reach it, and where it could not be damaged by viruses, spyware etc...

Thanks again:)))

Howard :cool:

8. TheQuest

Hi, zoril

Glad to be of some help to you Howard, I hope all goes well for you.

Come back any time with any question you might have, not just on Acronis but anywhere on Wilders there are many very nice and helpful people to help with about any problem.

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.