Is it necessary to use EMON and IMON with port 110?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bluesdave, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesdave

bluesdave Registered Member

Hi,

I have both EMON turned on, and also IMON monitoring all email (port 110) - NOD32 2.7. Every email I receive is scanned twice, as are any attachments. I use Eudora 7.1 (on XP Pro SP2), and I was wondering whether I should turn off EMON as I do not use Outlook. This should stop one of the scans - am I correct? I will still be thoroughly protected by IMON, won't I? Thanks.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

EMON scans IMAP accounts in Outlook, whereas IMON scans POP3 in email clients.

3. bluesdave

Maybe so, but I am telling you, that every email and its attachments are scanned twice. I want to stop one of the scans without detracting from my security. I get two messages in every email I receive saying that it was scanned by NOD32, and when I am sent large attachments, NOD32 pops up a translucent box showing me the progress of each scan - that is how I know it is scanning twice - I can see it. Just for the sake of the argument, if I receive one email containing one attachment, there are two sets of scans for both the email body, and the attachment. To make it clear. That is two scans for each component, totalling four (4) scans for one email. Clear?

BTW, my email account is a POP3 account.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id try turning off EMON or IMON and seeing if ur email still gets scanned multiple times.

5. bluesdave

Thanks. I was already aware that EMON was meant for Outlook, but turned it on just in case I swapped to Outlook in the future. I was just reading through the NOD32 FAQ and that cuased me to rethink leaving EMON on, so I have turned it off. I will send myself an email with an attachment and see what happens.

BTW, Outlook is not just IMAP, it also supports POP3, and Eudora also supports IMAP (but my account is POP3). I appreciate your help. :D

6. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    He wasn't saying Outlook is just IMAP....it's EMON that focuses on Outlook when used in environments such as Exchange. And IMON which scans e-mail clients such as Outlook when used for POP3.

I have many many clients that use Outlook in a POP3 setup, using NOD32, I leave all modules enabled, they don't get a double hit scan like you're experiencing.

Prior antivirus fully uninstalled? Any COM+ add ons still leftover with Outlook?

7. bluesdave

I sent myself a 6mb attachment, and it was scanned twice. I suspect that the problem is that I use an email scanning product called Benign, and Benign sits between my email client and my mail server. It is possible that IMON is scanning both paths, ie. mail server => Benign, then again for Benign => Eudora. I assume that there is no way to tell IMON to ignore one of these without turning off a vital feature of IMON (ie. that would decrease my security).

8. bluesdave

Outlook is installed but has never been used. My previous antivirus has been fully uninstalled. The messages clearly state that it is NOD32, and there is no doubting the origin of the message box that pops up when the attachment is scanned. If you look at my last post, I think I might have found the problem, but not a solution.

Thanks for your input.

9. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

You would still be protected by AMON if you turned off IMON.

10. bluesdave

Thanks, but then I would lose the benefits of IMON. It has already prevented me from going to a dangerous web site (it was a link posted in a forum), so I am very grateful for its protection. I would prefer to live with the double scanning, than risk my security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.