Is it Just Me, or is Avira Buggy?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Since Avira consistently does well on both normal and zero-day tests, I decided to use it in conjunction with Comodo FW with Def+ on my little brother and Mom's computers. However, it seems so buggy and unresponsive!

1. Before I reinstalled Windows a few months back on my PC, I tried to install it just to see it in person, but the installer would fail, even though I reran it a few times.

2. A few days ago I went to install it on my brother's PC. I tried to do a custom install but it stopped responding as soon as I hit next. I tried again with express and it successfully installed.

3. Today I ran it about 5 times, trying both express and custom on my Mom's computer, and it stopped responding each time. Finally I let it sit for a bit before I hit next, and it worked. However, when I would try to run a scan, the scan would say "initializing" and just do nothing. Trying to stop the scan resulted in it not responding lol. Trying to open the interface sometimes makes it stop responding. Regardless I will still keep it on there.

My question though is if this it to be expected with the 2012 Avira, of if I'm just having bad luck on 3 separate computers.

2. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

I am using Avira with Comodo FW/D+ on some computers, with no problems so far. But I always uninstall the Avira on-access scanning because I check files manually anyway ;)

3. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I've not been able to install Avira for a couple of years now due to constant errors installing. I used to get error messages that it hadn't installed properly, but now it just hangs every single time I try. I don't have a problem with anything else, just Avira, every time. I actually tried the latest version yesterday and exactly the same problem. Don't think I'll bother with it again.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I can't install Avira if CIS is already installed. There is a thread somewhere in the Forum about it, and the advice is to install at first Avira and then CIS. But I don't know if doing so Avira don't install some component at kernel level that could make conflict or restrict CIS work.

5. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

for those who use Avira free. is the big popup still there or are they useing that slider thing? how often does that popup?

6. Brandonn2010

On both computers I installed Avira before Comodo FW so that wasn't it.

7. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

when i right click on Avira and clicking on: About Avira free Antivirus then i get an error message and avira icon goes away, and this has always happend to me, but i do belive it is a bugg,
    i have re-installed and uninstalled and still the same thing.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Avira would be my full time AV if not for its buggy HTTP module.

I click on websites and some open very quick while other times, for the same site, the hour glass just turns. this on 3 different setups.

This issue doesnt happen with any other AV product

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Avira doesn't really like company, which is not surprising given that AVs have to check all processes in a computer. If you have conflicts or slowdowns, I would try to include as many potentially conflicting processes in Avira's exception list, and even in the ProActive allowed list if you are using it.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

there is no company because I only use one real time prouct. I can ope my browser and go to websites with no hesitation with Avira, then other times i just hangs. It is not my connection nor computers because I have testing this fairly extensively.

as far as excluding processes, a customer should not have to do this.

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

you should know:-you seemed to have tried them all!:D

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Why not? "Exceptions" are there for a reason, if it still doesn't work as expected there are plenty of alternatives to choose from.

13. carat

carat Guest

As far as I know you get the big popup after every update attempt ... :(

14. Brandonn2010

Just noticed that yesterday. I think that's reason enough to ditch it. I know they need to advertise their paid product but they could do it in a less intrusive way.

15. jaodsvuda

jaodsvuda Registered Member

I doubt that´s the only reason Avira slipped from 1st to (regular) 5th-6th place in Softpedia´s "7-Day Top Downloaded Items".

16. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

It's probably you, :doubt:

17. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

The only bug that irritates me at the moment is that it breaks full screen video every 120 minutes in Media Player Classic Home Cinema, when ipmgui.exe connects to the Internet. This is a confirmed issue, but not much seems to be happening.

18. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

still they have not fixed the bug for about 2 years now,

Just right-click at Avira-icon near the clock and click on, About Avira Free Antivirus

just test it and you'll see there's a bug

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Just tried it on my netbook and I can't replicate it. Have you checked at Avira's user forum?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No bug and no pop up here, Windows XP Home Avira12 free.

21. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I ran Avira (both the Personal & Premium versions) along side Comodo FW/D+ for years with no problems. I've seen several others do the same, sometimes installing Avira first... sometimes Comodo... and never saw any prompts from either product about conflicts.

My experiences with Avira were great. It was my favorite AV, no contest. I've just decided that running a real-time AV is a waste of resources for me.

22. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I think Avira is buggy. Definitely moreso than the other vendors I normally use. I want to like/love it, but just little things about it (even the GUI having a lot of "Not Responding") issues when just opening up the gui are annoying. Its the only av product I have personally used that has been that way.

I also do not like the lag when searching for images. Other av vendors do not have such lag.

Recently, I had to ditch Avira here at work on one of my machines. I run scans here on the Network with Nessus (from Tennable Security). Each time I would run a scan, they scan would either time out or flat out bomb within seconds. Disable Avira, and all was golden. This took some time to troubleshoot (I even contacted Nessus support) but in the end I figured out the problem on a hunch. Something Symantec did to me about 12 years ago at another job.

That said, I still do like Avira's dectection rate, and I have also enjoyed its cleanup capabilities. I do hope that Avira can address these issues in a future patch or version.

Cheers.

23. boelectronic

boelectronic Registered Member

@Brandonn2010: Avira 12 and Comodo (wither CIS or FW) have known compatibility problems. You may suffer from Network problem, Windows Slow Down or in very rare case BSOD. Some may say they don't have problem, but it often happens, not always though.

@Pedr0: Are you using latest version? avgnt.exe crash has been fixed in second version 12 release. I'm the one that reported and followed this bug to get fixed.

@trjam: Do you use any other security software together with Avira? Any firewall or antispyware? Also "Internet Download Manager" advanced integration cause major problem for Web and Mail protection of Avira.

@Brocke: Its still there, you will receive that once a day (if you do more update per day, you will see that after each manual update too)

@King Grub: Did you report to Support? if yes and got reply and then nothing happen can you give me the "Call" id in the mail subject?

@Trooper: Can you please let Avira Support know about this problem? You can do it via: http://www.avira.com/en/support, Thanks!

24. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Just submitted something to support. Will post back here with results.

Cheers!

25. boelectronic

boelectronic Registered Member

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.