Is it better to use the Guard...? from a Newbie

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by mypenry, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mypenry

mypenry Registered Member

HI may be this is a dumb question, ive just purchased ewido V 3.5
    as I am new to computers my question is ...

Is it better to enable the Gurad feature or not ...?

Comments and advice on setting the programme up please ...

Thanks Mypenry

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Hi, Mypenry! :)
    You should consider to always have the guard enabled, unless you got any other great Anti-Trojan/Spyware program already guarding you (e.g Spyware Doctor, Spy Sweeper, Trojan Hunter..) .

If you also have any of them above, you may think of the purchase as totally useless, as Ewido can be used as an On-Demand in any case.. By purchasing it you just get the options to have Automatic Updates and the Guard, which you mentioned in use after the trial period.

Hope this information helps! ;)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The guard or shield of a scanner prevents the installation of threats on your computer and that is always better than removing installed threats on your computer with a scanner.
    Prevention is always better than curing. it's a boring saying, but there are things in computers and life, that never change.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I agree it is better to have the Guard enabled, since it is scanning memory and can intercept nasties as they attempt to get going. Without the Guard malware can cause more damage than otherwise and it is likely to be harder to clear the mess up afterwards.

However I certainly don't agree that if you have Spyware Doctor, Spy Sweeper, Trojan Hunter etc., ewido's protection is 'totally useless'. What evidence is there to suggest that the realtime protection of these aforementioned scanners is better than, or even as good as ewido's?

There are tests that show ewido doing very much better at finding things than the others mentioned, but I don't know of any actual tests showing results the other way round.

http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic...&start=0&sid=6ccd8bee78d3977d590a9f10c788ef39

http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=72&mnu=72

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

(For the latter you need to click the Comparatives tab and scroll down to the PDF Report for 'Anti-Trojan Comparative 2006'. Trojan Hunter withdrew from this test, probably due to poor performance).

Actually, you could run an anti-spyware scanner alongside the ewido guard if you wished to do so. They are not doing the same job in any case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.