is hardware firewall better than software one

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hadi, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi all
    Recently our ISP is implementing tools to fight viruses, worms adwares, spywares, etc. Also, they promised (soon) customers to either get rid of their AVs or keep them for on-demand-scanners only. The first step was to exchange (on customer will) the ordinary router with one that has a built-in firewall (fully configured to the service provided. they said). I've got one and had a conflict problem with windows firewall (this thread)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=84640
    So, I disabled Windows firewall.
    My Questions:Am I protected. I’m not familiar with hardware firewall and I don’t know now how this hardware firewall is protecting, is it better than software one, can it be tested, does it need to be updated and if yes how. Thank you

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

From what i have read they dont seem to be very good at outbound blocking. But i may be wrong

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

the best would be: a router for inbound protection/stealth... AND a software firewall (can easily be free) for outbound.

it is for the best to disable windows firewall in the situation above.

having a router and a software firewall will cause less cpu spikes/mem usage cause the inbound is taken care of allready and normaly should be adequately filtered through the router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.