Is google changing my broswer settings?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by funnyfun, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funnyfun

funnyfun Registered Member

Well, it seems somehow firefox was changed from bing to google without my say so :doubt: and ghostery seems to be M I A? :eek: I just uninstalled Chrome because im not for sure if i can trust google anymore.:mad: I think if they can do this to my computer, i should be able to have them arrested for terrorism or something.:D Has this happened to anybody elseo_O?

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It hasn't happened to me but do keep us informed.

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Not me. However, with Google - you never know. Of course, if they were, you can rest assured that Google would say that whatever was going on "certainly wasn't their intent." :cautious:

4. funnyfun

I think its time to give google a wake up call. For some reason im getting the impression they think access to my computer & private information is a right of theirs:doubt:

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

So, to be clear, you think that installing Chrome caused your Firefox search engine to switch to Google and for Ghostery to be uninstalled?

6. 2good

2good Guest

if I'm not mistaking the default search engine in firefox is google at least the latest versions should have google as default, I read that sometimes ago in a pc magazine that I can't remember.

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Nobody must use google.:D

If you have an ip blocker or one in your sw fw you can block any packets from going in or out from your PC to google. My entry in the FW is:

74.125.0.0-74.125.255.255

USA - California Google Inc. yyz06s06-in-f9.1e100.net

Drop the firefox browser, I find now that IE 9 as a hardned browser does everything I need. BUT you need a FW to manage what applications can access the www and what ip's you want to block.:cool:

8. 2good

2good Guest

thanks for the info. good to know.

9. funnyfun

I already had firefox set up with ghostery and startpage as my browser/homepage set up. Then i installed chrome, added ghostery & startpage to it, went back to using firefox for a bit, closed out firefox, and upon opening it again:eek:

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

„Jawohl, mein Führer“ :D

11. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

The o_O "Fuhrer" comment and your advertising Avatar says more than I ever could ever about the encroachment of Google on privacy.

Thank you.:D

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

LOL! "Resistance is futile ... you will be assimilated into the Borgle collective". ;)

13. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Thanks for the address. Blocked!

14. Daveski17

There is a known Ghostery bug that makes it disappear from the GUI in Internet Explorer. Maybe there is a Firefox bug similar? Incidentally, you can alter Google as your default browser on Firefox.

1/ Download the GUI search bar plug-in of your choice (DDG, Start Page, Qrobe.it etc).

2/ Type about:config into the runbar & locate the config filter.

3/ Type browser.search into the config filter.

4/ Then click on the browser.search.defaultenginename string.

5/ Replace (type) Google with the appropriate search engine of your choice, remember to type it as it is parsed in your GUI search engine, for example: Duck Duck Go secure socket layer would be DuckDuckGo (SSL). If you are interested.

15. avboy

avboy Registered Member

In FF, where to download it from? mozdev? And where to place the plug-in? No wonder my manual changes in about:config did not work, Sandboxie deleted the plug in installed automatically!

16. Daveski17

I'm pretty sure that most are on the Mozilla add-ons page. If you want Start Page I'm also pretty sure you can add it to the Firefox search box (on the right side of the runbox in the GUI) from the Start Page homepage itself. Usually it says 'Add to Firefox' & you just follow the instructions. You can also click on the drop-down menu of the search box & add it that way. It may say either 'Manage Search Engines' or 'Add to Search'. Failing any of these, I have found the Ixquick https plug-in at Mozilla. Ixquick is the original name of the parent company I believe & is virtually identical to Start Page. The servers are all based in the Netherlands.

17. avboy

avboy Registered Member

Thanks a lot. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

18. Daveski17

You're welcome. :)

19. Seven64

Seven64 Guest

Nice to have a piece of google off my back. Do you have any facebook address blocks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.