Is G Data AVK really superior?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Astech, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hehe, thought ud be using Avira if that wer the case :D

2. Astech

Astech Registered Member

It would be also nice to see them remove all the viruses that they detect, high detection rate is very important, but so is the removing of active viruses:)

3. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

No need for removal if it doesn't have a chance to infect you in the first place ;)
    ...And I personally rather have an AV which keeps telling me I'm infected every time I boot up than not telling me anything at all because it cant detect it.

...But on the other hand, if the AV doesn't fully remove it although it gives the impression it has, then there's a big problem.

4. adiels

adiels Registered Member

Well if you think its heavy on resources..its NOT. Atleast AVK 2009 is not, its much lighter than many single engine AV's. Only thing I don't like is the manual scan is a bit slow, other than that a great product. And I am not german :)

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Has support for non-German users improved? It used to be very poor.

6. subset

subset Registered Member

Much lighter...

Disk space before and after the installation and update of G Data AV.

GDdiskspace.png

Memory usage after a few minutes browsing.

GDmem.png

Yes indeed, it certainly is very light. :p

Cheers

7. markcc

markcc Registered Member

All that is important to me is how does it feel on your computer? My memory usage is about what you show, it does not effect the way the computer runs! I'm running XP with 3 gig of ram & feel no slowdowns at all. I don't care how much ram it uses! After you quit surfing a few minutes the AVK Proxy memory usage will fall to a few MB's.

I have tried F-Secure & that ran like crap on my machine, high memory usage & made the computer slow to a crawl. I have tried Avira & that uses far less memory than GData, however system responsiveness was no different than GData. Opening the GUI on Avira was slow & took a few seconds to open which does not happen in GData.

I'm very happy with this A/V & will renew it when it's time

8. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

@subset
    used diskspace and installer size are really important indicators for "lightness".
    More space is needed e.g. for the BooCD image and the ability do modify installation subsequently.

RAM consumption will be optimized - but I agree with markcc:
    Even with the actual consumption I don´t notice negative effects.

regards,
    Ford

9. firzen771

the reason that happens is bcause the people at Avira chose not to have the GUI running in memory 24/7, that way they can limit the memory usage even more, the GUI only loads into memory wen u open the GUI and wen u close it, the process closes as well.

10. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Thanks for the GUI answer Firzen771. I would think the amount of ram needed to keep the gui active would be min. It makes the program feel slow when you open the gui. I have not seen that with any other a/v. With the amount of ram on systems today & the low cost of adding more, IMHO they should use what it takes to make the program responsive.

The bottom line on my system is this: This a/v runs very well on my system, has good detection rates, has a great gui & has keep me clean. I run SAS & Malwarebytes on demand from time to time & it has never found a single thing - ever. Good enough reason for me to keep using it:D

11. subset

subset Registered Member

Nope, according to wiki they are just indicators for bloatware or elephantware.
    A Program uses larger amounts of system resources (disk space, memory) than similar programs without any benefits for its users.
    If you don't care or respectively like bloatware or elephantware, of course that's not my problem.

I have tested the Avira and G Data Suites, KIS and NIS on a P4 2.66, 768 RAM, XP testbox.
    Guess which suite was the only one, which slowed down this testbox to a crawl?
    Exactly... G Data was the only suite which made this old PC completely unusable.

And what I always read from guys to let their bloatware shine is this if... then... thingy.
    If you have a recent Dual Core, then it doesn’t slow down your system.
    If you have 3 GB of RAM, then it doesn’t slow down your system.
    If etc. etc.

Cheers

12. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Subset

I understand what you are saying! My system is NOT top of the line. A P4 630 single core processor with 3 GIG of DDR2 memory, that's it! No system slowdown! Avira runs NO DIFFERENT on my system nor does any other A/V I have tested. You can take that for what it's worth.

13. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

@subset

if an app offers the features I mentioned, it should be clear that it needs more diskspace than apps which don´t offer these features.

Ok - when you think your testbox and test set is representative for most users than you surely be right...

14. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I think Blue more or less summed it up:-if you get infected is more down to you and your surfing habits than which AV you use and how many engines it uses:-a bit of common sense is far more effective than adding an extra av engine in keeping your PC clean!If your an idiot you could probably get infected if you used an av containig half a dozen different technologies from various vendors if one existed

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Trustport?

16. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

that's no good:-its only got 5 lol

17. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Personally, I don't think multiple engines are as important as heuristics and signatures. An antivirus with an unpacker, virtual simulation, and a good updated signature database will be as effective as most other antiviruses including multi-engine ones. If, however, the single engined antivirus is lacking in some respect or it is not possible for it to check all malware types, a multi-engine antivirus would be better in this respect.

Descarte said, "I think, therefore I am."
    SourMilk says, "I think, therefore I think I am."

SourMilk out

18. Astech

Astech Registered Member

With 5 engines TrustPort brakes all the records:eek:

19. progress

progress Guest

Yesterday G Data was really superior, bye bye Windows :thumb:

~~ link to VT results removed per forum policy ~~

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  20. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

LOL :D Actually u mean BD :thumbd:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2009
  21. progress

progress Guest

Yes, and BD is part of G Data :ouch:

22. markcc

markcc Registered Member

As ance said, Bitdefender is one of the engines GData uses along with Avast, so what! Other av's companies use other av engines in their products. So it looks like if you had Bitdefender or GData you would have stopped this virus!

23. subset

subset Registered Member

24. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Well, you can't deny that this is a definitive solution that can stop ALL windows viruses! :argh: o_O

25. firzen771

LMAO :D i suppose that is tru :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.