Is FreeArc 0.67 still safe to encrypted files and upload them to cloud?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by blazeknick, May 2, 2016.

1. blazeknick

blazeknick Registered Member

Hi,

Could someone advice if FreeArc 0.67 is still safe for encrypting files to upload them to cloud.

I'm asking about FreeArc because I found it is supporting more encryptions algorithms (AES, Serpent, Twofish, Blowfish) and the different options to choose with combination of multiple encryptions algorithms and along with password+key file too when compared with 7-zip.

Im kind new to encryption and hence I think as it can protect the files with password+keyfile and if we keep the keyfile offline will make files more secure.

I read through online forums/blogs like opensource softwares are more trustworthy, and I see that FreeArc is also open source.

But this software seems not being updated since 2014, hence i'm in doubt if this can be still used to lock and protect files for uploading personal files into cloud.

Below is the link I found about freearc.

http://freearc.org/FreeArc-GUI-Eng.htm

Thanks.

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

As you mentioned, Freearc appears to be abandoned.
    I would recommend you try Peazip, encrypt file/files/directories in .pea format. It supports password+keyfile. And, it's open source.

3. haakon

haakon Guest

Agreed on PeaZip. I don't believe Georgio would continue to integrate FreeArc unless it was viable. Abandoned doesn't mean useless.

I use PeaZip to build a self-extracting ARC file using Serpent256 for my portable Thunderbird profile folder. I then create a self-extracting 7Z of that using AES256. Both have different 24-character passwords. Every week I drop that into two cloud stores, been doing that for years.

I use portable PeaZip 64 in Windows 7.

4. blazeknick

blazeknick Registered Member

Hi,

Thank you both for the suggestion on Peazip.
    I wish Freearc would continue too, it's having some good features like adding recovery records to prevent data corruption etc.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.