Is Firefox still the safest web browser?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by strongsword, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i doubt that.
    no script requires user input.
    and lots of it.

hell, this thing is too geeky even for a geek like me.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well Shirley, I think that this reply from Tom T on InformAction Forums:

"Why would a huge corporation that makes its living selling advertising (mostly targeted) and user data ever want its users to install an add-on that would block advertising scripts and data-mining scripts, including Google's bread-and-butter, google-analytics.com?"

Is a very good question. And this (below) from the same post is a very good reason to actually run NoScript.

" ... which NoScript blocks *by default*, and runs a Surrogate Script in its place. This makes the page happy that the script ran, but sends no actual data to Google."

Anyway, I feel safer with NoScript. I just can't see Google ever wanting to create or develop an equivalent to NoScript.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Remember, Chrome isn't entirely controlled by Google - it's open source.

Furthermore, they're already working on proper adblocking.

And with the way Chrome's adblocking works now they would already lose money - ad revenue is based on CLICKS not on downoads of the ads/ views of the ad. Hiding the ad is killing business just as much as anything else.

Google can put these features in without worry - at most 5% of the userbase will use it.

And, as I've said, they're already putting those features in. Adblock Plus dev builds already have the WebRequest API build in.

4. Hungry Man

Their forum is being really really slow. I'll respond to him later.

Responded.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Don't you mean Chromium is open source?

I believe you, I honestly do. ;)

I suppose the great irony is that advertising can finance so much, yet ads can be annoying, obtrusive & worst of all, a security problem.

That's OK then. :)

6. Hungry Man

Yep, that's what I meant.

Yes, that's why Google patented what constitutes a "bad" ad. They can be annoying and slow things down and yea, often they're big gaping security holes.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Please take a look at some of the posts in this thread before criticizing Firefox.

8. pandorax

pandorax Registered Member

I want to tell you something about that i encountered a problem with Chrome before six months.

There have been bitdefender trafficlight as extension back then. I entered a web site and trafficlight alerted me that "this website contains malicious objects" or something like that. I didn't care and entered that website anyway lol After that i saw Chrome's download bar, some *.vbs script file was downloaded and after that it disappeared after a second. I looked at download folder, there wasn't a vbs file in there. That web site was publishing released tv shows and i added it in click and play white list. What kind of attack was that? lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.