Is FDISR 3.0 ver 202 the latest build out of beta now?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Was wondering if the latest build 202 that was just released now out of beta and is now the official release for winVista support? If so then how do you install it? Do you uninstall the current version on your system then install this newest version or do you just do an update with the update button or ? I wonder if the Archives and snapshots will be usable if you upgrade to the newest version?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would like to know that too, because I have build 202, received from Raxco, but they didn't tell me it was final or still beta.

This is what Raxco says :
    From Raxco's website an IMPORTANT remark :
    It seems to me that build 202 is a final version.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Raxco wouldn't have it there if it wasn't

4. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

my version is 1.10 build 173?

5. ErikAlbert

My version is still 1.05 Build 166 (without compression).

The problem with Raxco is, that they always use the same name for the installation-file,
    regardless the version or build : fdisrfw.exe

Each time I have to rename it, like fdisrfw105166.exe or fdisrfw300202.exe

6. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Where do you get the upgraded version? I saw a update patch, not a exe, guess I am looking in the wrong place?

Thanks

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

8. Horus37

9. ErikAlbert

I got a one-time download page from Raxco by email.

10. Horus37

So was it just a patch or did you get a full .exe file and was told to uninstall previous version? I'm waiting on an email from raxco but it's the weekend. What's the install instructions on this new version?

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Horus, I sent an email and got a reply, download, double-click and that was it, no uninstall of previous version needed.

12. ErikAlbert

The new installation file of build 202 had a size of 5849 KB, which is about the same size of previous versions. So I assume it's a full installation file and not an upgrading.

The email from Raxco said :

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

My patch size was 2,536kb.

Quote from email

Use the workstation update. All you need to do is download and run the installation file. It may require a restart but it will tell you prior to doing that

Your settings and snapshots are not affected. They will still be there after the update. Unquote.

14. Horus37

Well that's interesting that they have 2 different files to upgrade to the latest edition. If you use the patch system that sounds like the easier way to go. Making new archives I'll have to make sure not to copy back an old archive with the old FDISR version.

So you think the best way to patch is to delete any snapshots but the primary and apply the patch to that and then make other snapshots from the newly patched primary? Did you have any other snapshots with the old version in it when you patched and did it change the other snapshots automatically by just updating the one primary snapshot? If we decide to keep other snapshots and apply the upgrade patch will we have to apply the patch to all of the snapshots manually? I don't want to have to delete all my snapshots.

15. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I would also like if Raxco could indicate, in the name of the file, wich version it is instead of simply call it fdisrfw.exe... It is very confusing for newbies with FD-ISR :)

16. ErikAlbert

I can't answer that question for sure and I won't have that problem, because I'm planning a new installation from scratch, but for OTHER reasons.
    And then I will use the latest build of FDISR.

I don't like patch.exe's to update softwares, I prefer a full.exe's, but I can't force the developer to do this. I'm glad I received a full.exe from Raxco, that makes my bookkeeping easier.

If I was you, I would just follow the instructions for the patch.exe or the full.exe, which are all mentioned in this thread.
    These instructions come from Raxco and that means they are safe.
    Taking an IMAGE of your previous system is always a good precaution.

17. Horus37

Seems like the safest way would be to delete all snapshots but the primary, uninstall the program fully from the system, reboot, then do a full install with the new version. Are you thinking you are going to do a new windows install as well? I would think that maybe doing a windows vista install first might be better then install FDISR , then install xp into an empty snapshot. Wonder if it would even matter though much if you installed winVista into an empty snapshot on an xp main system.

Does the new version support 64 bit winvista?

18. USAAlone

USAAlone Registered Member

Hi,

I used re-download software. FD-ISR 3.20.202 and Perfect Disk 8.0.0.63 is available as a full installer. Have to use re-download software. Made a ISO out of it and created a new Perfect Disk FD-ISR installer on a mini DVD. Put original Winzip files of Perfect Disk FD-ISR on the DVD.

Aloha,

USAAlone

19. Horus37

I read that the new FDISR v 3.20 202 doesn't support 64 bit vista , only 32 bit. So since it has moved itself out of the MBR then it sounds like it's possible to use a partition program and dual boot so I can have xp vista 64 bit on one partition and the other partion I can have FDISR and all the rest. Going to do this all on a 100 gb hard drive, HA! So which partition program would be the best one to use to organize this? Hopefully there's a free one.

20. ErikAlbert

Maybe you better ask this question in another forum.
    I never used a partition manager until now, so if there is a freeware, I'm also interested in case I ever need one. WinXPproSP2 did my partitioning during the installation, which wasn't very complicated in my case : one partition per harddisk LOL.

21. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Just wanted to let you know that I contacted Raxco and they sent me a link to download the full FirstDefefence ISR program (exe) to work with Vista. I was in a pickle because I couldn't install any previous version of FD in order to update it with a patch. I've already installed the new program and made a snapshot. I did need to uninstall the LeapFrog's trial version. I really appreciate Raxco support. By the way I enjoy most of the comments here. :)

22. Peter2150

Hi PoetWarrier

Welcome to Wilders and Leapfrogs forum. No doubt, FDISR and Raxco are top notch.

Pete

23. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Thanks Pete for the Welcome. I've enjoyed your many comments on a variety of subjects. Been just a lurker, but thought many Vista users would be happy to hear about the FD news from Raxco.

PoetWarrior

24. Peter2150

The fun of Wilders is coming here to get help when needed, and help others when they need help. A wonderful community.

25. ErikAlbert

PoetWarrior,
    Welcome to the Club, it's in fact an Elite Club, but we don't want to hurt the feelings of non-FDISR-users.

If you use FDISR right, combined with a reliable Image Backup software, you stay out of trouble.
    I always read the disasters posts at Wilders, where users are in trouble and then I ask myself "If that would happen to me, how would I solve this problem, because I'm not so smart as all these members at Wilders,
    who are able to fix these disasters ?"
    The answer is always the same : I would use an archived snapshot to recover from such disaster. If that doesn't help I would use my Image Backup software to solve it, but in most cases FDISR is enough. I even correct my own mistakes with FDISR.

Since march 2006, I work with a healthy and clean computer and if a problem occurs, I fix it in no time instead of writing a disaster post myself and ask for help.

I experienced only two minor problems after using FDISR :
    1. FDISR keeps me stupid, because I don't have to learn anything anymore to fix problems. FDISR does it for me.
    2. FDISR makes me feel invincible like God, but that's not a problem on my computer, that's a problem for my shrink. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.