Is Facebook monitoring you?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

By Joel Eisenbaum - Investigative Reporter

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I don't know about others, but 90% of the ads that Facebook shows me are not relevant at all to me... Of course, truth be told, I don't have a webcam nor a microphone on the desktop I use to access Facebook, so maybe that is the reason for that gross inaccuracy :)

3. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Yet another reason why I don't have or will ever have a Facebook Account. I don't Tweet either. :D

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Creepy read actually. You have some chance if you Facebook on a linux laptop and use TAPE - LOL! If you use an Android it seems nothing is private as far as Facebook is concerned.

I have elected not to connect to Facebook on my end.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Facebook nuked my account :( I have no mobile number, and no real name :(

Whatever :rolleyes:

6. Reality

Reality Registered Member

I would love to see facebook go away FOREVER.

OK, edited to add (now that I've just read the article) why would anybody in their right mind believe anything facebook says.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Some people think, that un-subscribing from relevant ADs makes FB stop tracking them. I see no reason to do it, I would rather see relevant ADs.

8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

9. Reality

Reality Registered Member

That's right that's what FB does, track you even if you have never had an account. Nevertheless the tracking is much worse if you do have an account. Their past track record is hardly trustworthy.

As for relevant ads, they have to track you to find that out, and that's a breach of privacy and creepy. Why would you even think this is normal when you wouldn't allow people to do the equivalent in real life?

10. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

How do they do that without the user's permission?

----
    rich

11. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Facebook. Ads and trackers are all over the web.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  12. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

If you block 3rd party cookies by default they shouldn't be able to do so. However, they might use other techniques (aka super-cookies). That's why you better blacklist facebook in the global scope in uMatrix (or manually add the corresponding rules) or in the global column of dynamic filtering in uBlock Origin. This blocks any network request to facebook which makes any tracking technique void. It's that simple.

13. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Through cookies and the Facebook "Like" buttons some sites place on their articles.

As for asking user permission, Facebook is not the only one at fault. The entire web advertising platform is messy...there are ongoing efforts by both the advertising industry and privacy advocates to give users some form of control but a consensus seems out of reach.

14. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

... and would need to be applied to all contexts where you desire protection. Desktop/notebook browsers, smartphone browsers, smartphone app platforms, SmartTVs, cars, etc.

Does Facebook participate in any ad exchanges? These are hard to assess because much takes place on remote systems and you can't see everything that is happening and who is involved. However, many have come to involve a realtime bidding component whereby participants bid for you and they want targeting information before placing their bids. Sometimes the ad exchange operator gathers/shares it, sometimes participants get involved in identifier syncing to gather/share more info in real time, etc. Even if Facebook doesn't directly participate it may indirectly acquire some info from the various ad exchanges, other advertising systems, and data brokers.

So although it makes perfect sense to explicitly block all communication with specific threats like Facebook, one would want to make that one component of a more comprehensive strategy to block/avoid advertising and related systems across the board. If you "have to" use Facebook, setup a containment system to access it.

PS: I'm sure you get this, it is for others.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd like to see all the pull down your pants & voluntarily show the world your *** sites go away. And take the *** "celebs" that capitalize off it with them.

One out of a ** million of these "celebs" do right by others.

So nothing to do her other motives or deeds. BIG PROPS to Amber Heard for saying she'll donate 7M to charity & then ** actually doing it the next day. * all the other greedy scum.

16. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I agree. But that's done through the various filterlists/hosts files in uMatrix/uBlock Origin, anyhow.

Yes, and that's super easy in both extensions. You can block Facebook globally and allow it on facebook.com itself only. This makes tracking impossible. I'm not aware of other solutions which make it that easy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.