Is F-Secure really worth the huge price?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sockie, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sockie

sockie Registered Member

I like playing with and then buying; if the AV product meets my needs (I have three PC's), one AV I have always been very interested in was F-Secure. But the price of $65USD or $112AUD is prohibitive, is there a special reason why F-Secure is so expensive, am I missing something? *puppy*

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im not quite sure what you mean,

here in the UK, i dont see a huge difference that you mention, infact... f-secure is much cheaper for you.

F-secure antivirus: £ 27.95 (1-3 user licence)
    kaspersky antivirus: £ 24.00 (1 user licence)

you said you have 3 pcs, so....

Total Cost:

F-secure AV: £ 27.95
    Kaspersky AV: £ 72.00

right?

3. sockie

sockie Registered Member

Euro store: Price: € 65,90 (inc. VAT) Ouch...
    Australian store: Price: $112,00 AUD Ouch...

Where are you getting your prices from?! :cautious:

Also, I don't need three licenses. Just 1.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

F-Secure costs $64USD for 2 years here, $32 for 1 year. It is the only company here which has lowered its prices to suit the economy.

And yes, F-Secure is costly like hell, and I have no idea why...For me, the cost isn't worth it, there are better alternatives out there. :)

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

6. Firecat

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hmm?

F-secure AV (3 users) : £27.95
    F-secure IS (1 user) : £34.95
    F-secure IS (3 users) : £ 39.95
    F-secure IS (3 users - 2 years) : £ 59.95

Kaspersky AV (1 user) : £24.00
    Kaspersky IS (1 user) : £40.00

f-secure is cheaper than kaspersky here in UK, dont know about the currency conversions for other countrys, but its a decent price for sure. :D

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

AVG SUITE: 3 users - £33

which is £7 cheaper than f-secure, and a MASSIVE £87 cheaper than kaspersky, right?

and one of the better deals, is bitdefender for sure.

bitdefender is only £35.87, and this is a 2 year licence and 2 pcs, and this is the suite price.

9. Firecat

Whoever said Kaspersky was cheap? :p
    Anyway, yeah BitDefender and AVG are quite much better choices in this regard. :)

10. sockie

sockie Registered Member

Have a look at this: F-Secure in AUD, I mean that is totally ridiculous. :eek:

I tried BitDefender with Windows Vista and it made my PC a lot slower, I don't know why but my whole PC became frustrating to use. AVG seems like a good choice but the detection rates are a bit off. So at the moment I'm sticking to AntiVir - I prefer the look and feel of AVG though.

11. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

As per my information,

F-Port is having excellent offer (29$ for 5 PC protection)

12. sockie

sockie Registered Member

But F-Prot isn't as good as F-Secure is it o_O Plus they don't have a Vista compatible scanner that's not beta. :blink:

13. Firecat

Detection rates are "a bit off"? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

AVG got an "Advanced" rating in the latest AV-comparatives test. It even scored slightly higher than BitDefender! :)

The PC-World test tested only the PRO version of AVG, which has lower detection rates than the Anti-Malware and Internet Security editions. The overall protection level of AVG is about on par with that of BitDefender, however, AVG's heuristics are still not as good as BitDefender's. In the latest AV-comparatives test to be released in June which measures the retrospective/proactive ability of various AVs, I doubt AVG will get anything better than a "Standard" rating. :)

If you were referring to AVG's free edition though, yes I'll agree that AVG free does not have all that good detection rates as for example BitDefender. :)

BTW, F-Secure -- 112 AUD for just the Anti-Virus program? That is royally ridiculous. Are they trying to rip off Australians?

14. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

It sounds like a lot but it really isn't. As C.S.J already pointed out, that F-Secure price includes a license to install the s/w on up to 3 computers. For purposes of comparison, KAV 6.0 is something like $66 AUD but that includes a license to install the s/w on only *1 PC*. Since sockie has 3 PCs, he'd pay three times that amount (i.e. a *lot* more than F-Secure).

15. sockie

sockie Registered Member

Yeah we're really getting screwed by F-Secure for some reason, I've contacted the local distributor in Australia to check if there is any news on why we are being charged so much. :'(

16. sockie

sockie Registered Member

Yes but I run NOD32 on one, AntiVir on another and planned on running F-Secure on the third. I love playing and testing AV products. :D

17. Firecat

That still doesn't explain the price difference between different regions of the Earth....

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

f-secure is a decent suite and now has the possibility of installing it on 3 machines with one license.
    but i would say you might want some quite powerful pc;'s to run it on since it does cause quite alot of slow down and the scan is really slow due to the 5 engines and only 2-3 engines being useful.
    lodore

19. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Depending upon your Bank in the UK, F-Secure can be free.

Barclays, for example, is offering it to all their customers for no cost. I have not taken up the offer but I am holding the offer in reserve.

20. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

In my country I can buy F-Secure Internet Security 2007 for about 18 eur.
    Here F-Secure has always been low price antivirus software, cheaper that most of others and one of the best antivirus.

21. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

That price *is* pretty high......112 AUD = ~92 USD and those of us in the U.S. can buy direct from F-Secure for ~66 USD. It's particularly not worth it, IMHO, if you're not going to take advantage of the license to use the product on 3 PCs.

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im not sure why the prices are different across europe,

simple answer, go to the UK site and buy it, you can select many countries (plus, i think its a digital delivery anyway)

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just to confirm it is digital delivery.
    lodore

24. Technic

Technic Registered Member

Yes. It is digital.

Confirmed.

25. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I bought FSIS '07 back in Oct. '06 from F-Secure's website. I don't know if I chose the wrong link or what but when I was filling out the purchase form the amount shown was in whatever currency Finland uses. I did not know the USD price until after I got my confirmation email. The total of it was $54.95 and it was for one-user only (looking at the copy of the email now).

Now they only show the 3-user subscription. Going by what I paid for the single user it would be a deal if someone had multiple computers. But for someone like me with just a single computer $79.90 is a bit steep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.