Is ESS really worth it?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by EvilDave UK, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilDave UK

EvilDave UK Registered Member

Is it? I mean Outlook 2003+ comes with a pretty good spam filter and the Windows XP/Vista firewall does its job to a degree.

For a corporate user ESS will be pointless, because spam emails will still be being filtered through the gateway which will result in resources on the server being used where spam will eventually be blocked on the client. Outlook 2003+ is doing this already, so how exactly will ESS make that better?!

The only thing I can see being useful is the anti-virus. The anti-spam and firewall functions sound completely useless. The fact ESET have gone for a client-only approach gives me the feeling they're falling behind the rest of their competetors who are doing this sort of thing already, but from both a home and a corporate user point of view.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The kicker is, the one thing most want, is the frigging AV, and they have yet to let it out.:doubt:

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And let me add to that. The one componet of the suite that has worked flawlessly is the AV. So why not release it and keep your customers happy and not hunting.:rolleyes:

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

This customer is happy and not hunting for the time being. 2.70.39 will protect us for a while longer.

5. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

As there's no Information section in ESS Beta1a (that I've been able to find), I've been wondering if ESS-B1a is using the same AV engine that's in the current NOD32 2.7 or is it the NOD32 3.0 Beta1 engine? o_O

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

According to this it's a new engine. http://www.eset.com/company/article.php?contentID=3326

7. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Of course it is pointless for corporate users , but Symantec Norton IS , Panda IS , Kaspersky IS and all other IS suits are not appropriate for corporate users ,too .

That's why there will be NOD32 v3 (antivirus , antispyware , antimalware protection) which will be even better for corporate users than the current v2

9. veri

veri Registered Member

Kind of a silly argument, really - suites like that typically seem to be geared more towards your home end-users, not corporate workstations.

It's a little feature-bare at the moment while the Eset crew goes through and does what devs do during the beta process, but for the most part, it's shaping up to be a remarkable suite. If you want outgoing connection control from your firewall and an antivirus engine that's likely to be a particularly potent performer, ESS ought to be an option.

10. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

As far as I am aware there are 1xxx's of small companies that do not have any decent gateway protection, do not pay for inline surf control or spam filtering at ISP level.
    In the UK the majority of companies are very small. When the UK had an engineering base 90% of them employed less than 50 people.

So I would say that there is a big market for ESS, especially as it is light footed and small companies do not have HW upgrade policies nor an allocated budget for IT if indeed they have an IT dep't at all.
    When it breaks - buy new.

11. JohnPlayer

JohnPlayer Registered Member

I'm going to try and get my firm to use it.

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Not true. Many corporations small and large configure their mobile clients with full suite packages.

Blue

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes but this is mobile user which does not always connect to the company's network . What I meant was corporate workstations which are connected to their networks and can't have firewall (or they must play a lot with the firewall) . Most companies I know have protected the network with firewall to guard the whole network but they don't use firewalls on their workstations .

14. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I just installed this 2 days ago and its working ok on my Nlitened XpProS2. Main reason for trying this out was to sample the new scanning engine, I could do without the other stuff.

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

and you might be surprised at the percentage of new machines being deployed as laptops in some settings..., in my own section, that percentage is ~100% for new machines to professionals.

Blue

16. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

It's currently about a 30% (laptops) -70% (desktops) split at our company, but the trend for laptops (issued to professionals) is on the rise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.