Is ESET NOD32 and Windows 7 firewall enough?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Bigabe, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigabe

Bigabe Registered Member

Hello folks, I'm new here and try to decide between ESET Smart Security and NOD32.

And man, it's really really hard to do so.
    Everywhere I find reports and reviews that state that security suites produce more security holes than closing them and that Windows 7 firewall is more than enough.

I use my PC especially for gaming so it is very important for me to keep everything performant.

Another argument a lot of ppl use is that security suites slow your PC unnecessary when Windows 7 already has a good firewall within.

I tried to configure Windows Firewall but it is very annoying and complicated when ESET firewall configuration is easy.
    Besides, I often experienced the case that I installed a game, played it online and when I closed it I saw the Windows firewall warning that a program is trying to connect to the Internet. But I used the game before allowing it without any problems. :/

I joined this board in the hope that I hear some more different thoughts that make my decision easier. :)

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Eset Av and Windows Firewall is enough. Are you trying to configure Windows firewall as a two way? If so I personally wouldn't bother.( I can hear the chanting of the Leak test legion now). For a two way I'd go with Eset's if a two way is what you want.

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

yes for the average person this is perfectly fine, if u want u can add somethin else like a BB or sandbox but ull still be fine without them.

4. Bigabe

Bigabe Registered Member

Thank you for your answers.
    I think I'll stick with NOD32 and Windows firewall. I don't need two way control.

5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Just add DefenseWall Personal Firewall and you'll be 100x safer than before.

It's light, effective and non-annoying like the others. It's a blend of HIPS and Firewall. Everything on it in it's default configuration is good enough for any users and it's firewall part no need for configuration it's automatic. The DefenseWall HIPS version 2.56 was awarded Platinum for zero-day-attack by antimalware site, can you just imagined...it's now on version 3.09. :cool:

http://www.softsphere.com/

6. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

+1.I think W7's firewall is quite powerful.Don't need other third-party firewall temporarily.:)

7. xan K

xan K Registered Member

Its all I use too! No problems here.
    Well, also for testing "strange" software, I have a virtual WinXP setup (VirtualBox).

8. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Strictly from a point of view of your installed ESET software, you may adjust your settings for gaming performance and yes, both with the Windows 7 firewall settings, you should be sufficiently protected.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

The gaming performance link should be a sticky unto itself.

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

I have no control on stickies at Wilders but it is certainly is a noteworthy Link worth bookmarking. Thanks for the comment.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.