Is COMODO FW v3 recommendable for novices?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by OHM, Nov 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Also the benefits compared to UAC are very limited (of Defense +)

see: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1127942&postcount=10

Add good old defender with create restore point and you have a roll back option to.

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Perman,

In OA Free you can disable HIPS, you can disable firewall part (or uninstall it) and you can disable sharing of information with the central database.

I'm not sure if that's what you meant, or not...

Mike

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Read and weep.................

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Don't worry Coolio, OA will have it's share of "bashers" someday!!! It's the price of popularity!!!

Sorry "Mike", its just the law of averageso_O

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Exactly "monty", exactly :)

7. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Disagree.

Comodo 3 is extreme even for HIPS. Only SSM, Prosecurity and maybe eqsecure matches it.

8. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

It's fine for a novice as long as you install it in basic mode with no Defense + in my opinion.

I'm lovin' v3 so far to be honest. Nice and light on resources and less pop ups in Basic mode than v2.4.

9. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well there are some programs you will really want to lock down in terms of access and also protect from other processes. Anyone have a ruleset for firefox and sandboxie with Defense+?

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

For an average joe, like me, perhaps..

Comodo 3 w/o defense+ , then adding DefenseWall, probably will provide an adequate protection w/o all those annoying pop ups ?

This combination has been working great for me while I am out of DF's frozen mode. Take care.

11. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I really don't see what the difficulty is. I'm no tech expert but I can read help files, browse support forums and ask questions if need be.

I set up Comodo V3 with the full blown settings, read the help files and asked the odd question in the forum and am now using it no bother.

Too many people here appear to be afraid that they can't cope with the unknown but forget everything they do know was unknown to them at one point.

Instead of holding your arms in the air surrendering go and educate yourselves on the product, you never know, you may enjoy learning knew things!:D

12. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Well the problem is that if you want to go past the training mode and really lock down your browser, you need to learn a fair bit on both Defense+ and the application you are trying to lock down. For example I am trying to lock down Firefox and I would need to know exactly what resources and hooks firefox uses and how it interacts with Sandboxie. And if I do misconfigure it, it takes Defense+ 10 seconds to respond and ask permissions. Just too troublesome.

13. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I agree. Comodo is just way to confusing. No firewall should be a PITA. Online Armor is more like set it and forget it.

14. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

"Average joe" o_O

LOL....

15. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

But are you using it correctly?

There are two issues here,

a) being able to respond correctly
    b) being tolerant of the extra work.

Of course for some people it is both.

But for others, who like to press buttons to answer prompts (because it gives them a warm fuzzy feeling that they are working hard to protect themselves), they don't really understand what they are answering.

Too many people think they know more than they really do.

16. Joliet Jake

The prompts have died right down. Defense + alerts me maybe once every couple of days now. The first couple of days it was being taught what was what.

17. 212eta

212eta Registered Member

In the past, I had used Comodo 2, before I tried OA and stayed with it.
    After I heard so much "noise" about Comodo 3, I decided to try it.
    [I had never any particular problem with OA.]
    I simply thought (and I am not the only one) that maybe Comodo 3
    was going to be something really exciting; something really different.

Apart from the bugs and the complexity that confuses the average user,
    I couldn't download any product-updates.
    As I was trying to download them and around the 17% of the process-completion,
    I received a failure-error message urging me to check my internet connection.
    But my internet connection has no problem as, I visit every site and download
    everything normally!

Whether a novice or an advanced user, no more experiments...

I am back to OA for good! It has been the best for my needs.:thumb:
    It is the best combination of Simplicity and proven Effectiveness.:thumb:

Clarification:
    I am just an independent user who likes to try security software a lot.
    I have no professional or any other kind of relationship
    with Online Armor firewall and/or its vendor (Tallemu).

Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  18. Joliet Jake

Too many people are afraid or unwilling to learn but hey, it's their PC and all the sensitive information upon it and they tend to be the one's all warm and fuzzy thinking there is such a thing as perfect security. They have an anti virus therefore they can't catch a virus. They have a firewall therefore their network connection is secure along with all their precious information.
    Of course if a trojan did touch down on their system unnoticed and tried to communicate out it would probably be allowed because, well, they didn't want to learn in the first place and such malware could not have gotten past their security software.

I have learnt that I will not rely on one single layer for protection nor allow any request to be okayed without checking it.

19. Kees1958

Joliet,

Let me guess your answer (allow + remember) without checking external/other sources during training mode.

I just tried to get defense wall usuable for two days. Now do not say I am not patient, I have provided how to's on Sensitive Guard, EQSecure and ThreatFire and given some filters for WinPooch.

I have a problem with HIPS providing to much questions. I think Defense+ is one. I relaxed Image security checking to off, cut down limited to only block device driver installaition and ask for proces modification, setting hooks and modifying registry and files (note that I removed all exec like wildcards from this file protection) and physical memory access, others allowed (including the right to start all exe like files, windows system calls, the data directory and temp directories). I relaxed isolated to block also on the asks of relaxed, introduced a gaming application classification with only ask of file system changes and driver installation, all other allowed. I added the security software and the gaming developers to the trusted vendors.

I thought I got it quiet, just after an update of Xfire (even after adding teh changed files to my safe files, with image control off) the system frooze to a halt, when my son tried to start a game. I opted for basic at installation and let Comodo decide. I had alreay changed blocking of inbound traffic (we are behind a Nat/SPI hardware fire wall, not Deep Packet Inspection, only headers but still enough) to allowing all.

How much do you need to undress the protection of Defense+ and still get system freezes after patch updates?

I spend three evenings on this setup (say 12 hours) and still can get it effectively working.

20. Kees1958

Joilet,

I agree with Lusher. What Defense+ does in the training period is developing a base line of behaviour (whether this is correct or not does not matter). When you are an user which needs the automoatic training period, meaning you are not able to interpretate the exceptions cought and displayed by Defense+, what is your guarantee that you are able to interpreate the messages after the training period? Where did you get this sudden knowledge from?

Off course when I am responding and talking about the user, I do not mean you, but the averag Joe like me (struggling for 12 hours)

To the plus side of Defense+ I must say it really is a strong HIPS, it chewed everything I threw at it (but in these test cases I knew it was test malware)

Regards Kees

21. 212eta

212eta Registered Member

Just try an instant system-recovery software, like Rollback Rx, EAZ-FIX or Recovery Genius
    to name a few. Even if you get infected with the worst virus, even if critical system files are
    so corrupted that you cannot start windows, you will be able to FULLY
    recover your system in a perfectly-clean state within seconds.
    Every time you reboot your PC, you will have it as clean as it was on day one
    (when you formatted your disks and installed your programs).
    Believe me, there is no need for AntiVirus and AntiSpyware anymore.

http://www.horizondatasys.com/213342.ihtml

http://www.horizondatasys.com/204570.ihtml

Just pick up the best firewall to protect you while you are online.
    For me, OA is the best.
    Setting Defense+ aside, makes Comodo 3 ambiguous and not that reliable for many people.
    Besides, isn't Defense+ what really differentiates Comodo 3 from the rest firewalls?

Clarification: I am just a user who likes to test security software a lot.
    I am not employed or sponsored by any of the above companies.

22. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I was thinking along the same lines.

To the original poster: Do you feel that your Vista Firewall along with your router aren't protecting you sufficiently already? If they are, why bother changing?

I plan on checking out C3 when the final release is ready, but not until then. I don't like to form an opinion on a product until it's completely ready. I also wouldn't depend on it to protect my system until then. Using it on test machines is ok though, just to get a glance.

It sounds like it will be a pretty formidable FW/HIPS when it's completed. It will have to be really good to give me reason to change because ever since I got my FW & PDM set up the way I wanted it it's been smooth sailing.

23. OHM

OHM Guest

Sorry, I think I was quite paranoid. I thought NOD32(heuristics)+COMODO(HIPS) would be a great match, so I was just curious if I can actually try it.
    Anyways, thanks for the replies everyone.

24. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

If your computer is currently clean you can install COMODO Firewall Pro under 'Clean PC Mode' which should be minimal hassle, but as others have suggested it might be best to wait it out for now :D

25. Adric

Adric Registered Member

What leaktest were you referring to?

If I can verify your findings, I will make a post on the Comodo forums and I'm sure they will fix it. I have no qualms with V3 except for some quirks here and there. Running very quiet for me after the first few days. Actually, it's too quiet for me and that is why I'm always looking for new leaktests - to make sure V3 is still working :)

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.