Is Cloning an HD the way to go?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chip718, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Did you do a partition restore (rather than a "disk" restore) - if so did you remember to restore the MBR as well as the partition ?

F.

2. wstran

wstran Registered Member

Thanks Foghorne. Yes I did both partition and MBR restores and I tried many times but still got the same error.

3. foghorne

Do you have multiple partitions on the original disk.

If so I suggest you try and do a disk image, and try restoring that so that the partition layouts match.

F.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Has the replacement disk been connected and the jumper set in the same way as the previous drive ?
    For example If the old drive was jumpered as Master with Slave the replacement should be set in the same way. The actual position of the jumper may vary with drives of different manufacture. You have to go by the label on the drive.

Xpilot

5. wstran

wstran Registered Member

Thanks Foghorne and Xpilot.

To Forhorne, I have only one NTFS partition in my Windows hard drive.

To Xpilot, I uses the hard drive with same specs and "Cable Select" similar to the previous hard drive.

I think I'll try to back up and restore again to see if there is anything that I did wrong.

BTW, I'm sorry to chip718 for jumping into your post to ask my question. I just wonder if you have any problem in backing up and testing you hard drive.

6. chip718

chip718 Registered Member

Hello, again. I am running into a little issue here. I backed up a full image to my external HD. I validated the image and I received no errors. I created a boot disk and tried restarting my machine to see if the ex. HD showed... it didn't. When my PC restarted the Acronis utility started and I received 3 icons Safe, Full and Windows. I clicked on the first icon; Safe. I clicked on Recovery and all I saw was the C: Drive. The ex. HD is name: backed_up_hdd(J:). I have the ex. HD connected via Firewire. I checked with Acronis.com and Firewire was listed as an option, so now I am really at a loss.

7. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Using the Acronis Rescue CD, to view an external drive, one must select "Full" as an option and not "Safe".

One more reason to build a BartPE CD with ATI plugin so as to operate under Windows and not Linux.

8. chip718

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know where I can find the ATI plugin?

9. foghorne

See the sticky at the top of the forum.

F.

10. chip718

Thanks. I installed the PE Builder program and installed the plug in. When the plug in was installed it says it was fine, but when I open PE Builder v3.1.10a and click on the plug in tab I get an error that reads:

Plug in Acronis True Image Home 10
    Missing Files: files\Common Files\Drivers*.*

and when try to get burn the CD I get 1 Error and warning:
    Warning: Building from an OEM version of Windows can mean trouble...
    Error: files\Common Files\Drivers*.* The system cannot find the path specified

This is the only version of XP I have. It came on my PC.

11. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

There is a thread started by Mustang in which he explains in detail how to build the BartPE CD.

12. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Read Mustang's Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD if you haven't already. Do you have TI installed in the default directory C:\Program Files\Acronis? I believe this issue has been addressed by Mustang before. Try a forum search. Did you run the Autohlep.cmd file to configure the plugin?

13. chip718

I will give it a read. Yes. it is in C:\Program Files\Acronis

14. thomasjk

15. chip718

Thanks for the linkl. It cleared up the error. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the OEM warning.

16. thomasjk

See my response here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=987281#post987281 post #9. That warning will always be there. As long as there are no other errors you should have a good build.

17. chip718

Thanks I built the disc and it worked fine. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.