Is Bart included in TI10, version 4871?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dougo, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougo

Dougo Registered Member

Is BART included in TI10, build 4871? I bought direct from Acronis. During install, I selected "custom," and the BART option was listed as "not available."
    I did create their "bootable media CD," but thought BART would be a good option, just in case. Looking at the posts, I guess there are ways of building the BART myself...looks complicated. Without the "plug in," is it possible? Is the answer in this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=159384&highlight=BART ?If I have only a Windows XP install CD (OEM) without SP1, then I guess it's not possible anyway, right? Or is there a workaround? May be too much trouble. I wish, too, they would include a BART with plugin file, all set and ready to go. I'm sure there's some technical reason why they can't.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I don't have 10 so I can' help you with the plug-in although I think in V9 you had to specify "Complete" to get the BartPE plugin files.

The issue on providing the whole package is very likely due to licensing since it requires using Windows files and this way ensures the person doing it uses their Windows files. Well, at least, Acronis can't be accused of providing them.

If your OEM disk is a real XP disk that was provided with an OEM license, not a manufacturer's restore disk, then by downloading SP2 you can make a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD. There are various sites you can find by Googling on how to do this.

I got the impression from reading another post that even with a manufacturer's restore disk you can make up the required XP SP2 CD if you have access to the I386 directory. I can't say anymore than that but you may want to look into it if necessary and see if there is something to it.

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You can also find BartPE plugins here http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/ including V10. I believe you will need to do a "Complete install", the same as version 9.

4. Dougo

Dougo Registered Member

It says on that site "Plugin for Acronis' True Image Home 10.0. Works for XPE and Nu2Shell." So it's not for Windows XP Home Version?

As far as the bootable UBCD (http://www.ubcd4win.com/) mentioned in the https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=159384&highlight=BART thread, unfortunately, I have a Dell, and they report known issues.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

It works fine with XP Home. That's what I'm running. XPE and Nu2Shell are shells for BartPE. Then just build a plain BartPE but you may still have issues with your Dell CD. Try borrowing an XP CD from a friend.

6. Dougo

Dougo Registered Member

Great idea, to borrow a Windows CD.

Well, oops, my bad. After reading a little, I ran the .exe file, clicked Install, then clicked Modify, and it did let me choose Bart PE. The plug in is in the program files. Still will be some work, I may have to slipstream SP1 and SP2.

I'm afraid to test the (Linux) boot CD, or the F11 Secure Zone option. I don't want to go looking for trouble, but on the other hand, how do you know it will work? I guess you select F12 Boot menu at restart, and go from there. I assume there's always a safe exit. What's the worst case scenario: Mouse and keyboard don't work? Could I exit from this boot safely by just shutting down computer, or will this corrupt files? One would have to restore some files to make sure it worked. Sort of a Catch-22 for me, afraid to try it, hoping it will work, thinking I should test it.

7. PMP

PMP Registered Member

I just purchased TI 10 (it is 4871) and i can tell you that BART is included on my CD - it is an option chosen under the "CUSTOM" install

8. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

If it runs on XPE there is an excellent chance it will run on XP. XPE is simply XP with the ability to custom rebuild the kernel so that unwanted parts of the OS can be omitted in order to shoehorn the OS into small amounts of flashdisk or ROM. If it runs on a cut back XP it should run on the full blown thing.

F.

9. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

OK. So it turns out there are two XPE's. Marvellous. As if things aren't confusing enough :D As thomasjk hinted this is referring to the Bart PE XP shell - not the OS I work with most days of the week (XP Embedded).

F.

10. Dougo

Dougo Registered Member

It's in the download too. It's set by default in CUSTOM to not have BART PE (to save memory). I tried to click to accept BART PE in the CUSTOM install, but it didn't change (maybe I didn't double-click, or click fast enough). Just a mistake on my part. It's nice they give you that option to modify it after the installation, as above.

Foghorne, I too thought XPE meant XP Embedded, from a Google search.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.