Is AVG v7 any good ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waldo, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waldo

waldo Registered Member

Since it is a not verry expensive AV...i'm thinking of buying it.

I searched this forum and also Dsl's, and google, but didn't found a real review of it :(

All the information is about Avg 6 (free).

I even think it never took part in virusbulletin yet or has run the checkmark test...

On the website (Grisoft) the information is really poor (no tech stuff)

Does the V7 version has a strong unpacking engine (on demand) (wich archives) ?

Does the on-access scanner unpacks also ?

How is the detection rate ?

Does it detects many trojans ?

Is the heuristics bad ? (many falls results)

Is it a memory hog, like Norton and Macafee ?

I really want some information about V7.

(not about other scanner like Avast Pro, or Kaspersky, Nod32,..... I tried them all)

I also have Anti-trojan V5.5 full running resident, and The Cleaner Full (backup). Also ZA PRO 4, Adaware, and spybot.

Thanks Beforehand.

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I did some looking, too, before going to the free version of ETrust mentioned here in another thread. I could find nothing on the new AVG. Until I read more about AVG 7, I wouldn't consider paying for it.

Check out the various threads concerning AV's here and make a decision. There are many very good brands of antivirus software on the market and some, I think, are in the price range of AVG. Kaspersky Lite comes to mind.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have a similair configuration as you, Waldo, with layered defenses. Except I use ant-trojan shield. I too have tested/tried more than likely every antivirus available. I must say that I am impressed with AVG 7.0. The on-demand scanner has a very good unpacking engine...I believe it to be as good as Dr Web's or Kaspersky's. It is also evidents that Grisoft did a lot of tweaking around in the new version, as far as the engine is concerned. Version 7's scanning engine seems to be a lot more efficent, scanning time has decreased significantly. I am also surprised at how well the on-access scanner works. As long as you leave the option to scan on close turned OFF (unchecked) then you should have no problems with it. It detected every unpacked virus/trojan/worm I threw at it. It also cleaned/deleted every single one I tried. Remember that AVG is not meant to detect/cleaner "test virii" other than the EICAR test file. So using virus test generators (like some that are found at the site below might not work/be detected with AVG. I always go to this site do do my antivirus testing xxxxxxxxxxx The virii there are live. There are however rather old. But, none the less it should give you a pretty good idea of your antivirus' capabilities. AVG's on-access scanner does not come with an unpacker. I don't really think this should be a concern because when I virus is inside and archive it cannot affect your system.

ICSA Labs has certified AVG (version 6.xx) in terms of virus/trojan detection. However as of version 6.xx AVG has not been certified for virus/trojan cleaning. There have not, at least to my knowledge been any testing done on version 7. So this not not be the case anymore.

Version 6 was recently given the VB100 award. Maybe this is a sign of good things coming from Grisoft. If there is ever any data concerning AVG 7's and/or detection and cleaning I will let you know. However, until this information is released I would prefer, as I think you should, to stay with the proven champ NOD v2.

Please, Don't post links to live virus sites.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Does anyone know where I can view screenshots of 7.0?

Also, I notice that Grisoft's website advertises for resellers. A reseller will sometimes sell a product cheaper than the product's producer. Does anyone know of a source for discounted purchase of AVG 7.0?

I am a totally satisfied user of F-Prot, but I am always interested in keeping up with developments.

5. Rob

Rob Registered Member

This isn't a brand new review, But answers the question
    I don't think AVG is good enough for anyone.

AVG missed six viruses on our Virus Detection test and had seven false positives, even the free version isn't worth the price
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,6323,00.asp

Result summary: 2 passes / 19 fails
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

6. VAN WILDER

VAN WILDER Registered Member

The simple answer is no, I do like AVG GUI for some odd reason but that's where it ends. Look for an AV with the KAV engine, there are many out there even ones with Two engines. eXtendia AntiVirus AVK Professional, this uses the KAV and RAV engines. More info here http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cybercitysoftware/exanavkprof1.html
    It's a great price as well :D

7. waldo

waldo Registered Member

I already found some answers by myself after searching the help file thorough.

(it's a help file you have to downoad seperatly, and is launched from within AVG)

The on-demand scanner knows : Zip,Arj,Rar,Rar3.0,Cab,Pklite,Lzexe,Diet,Upx.

The On-access scanners knows the same archives, and is standard configured to scan them all. (without system slowdown i must add).

Waldo

8. capyboppy

capyboppy Registered Member

Interesting to see Rob's reply.

I sorted out a friend's laptop which had managed to succumb to 3 virus's a short while back. He had Norton Antil virus installed but Norton did not catch them. After taking off Norton for him and installing the free version of AVG and updating the signature files; AVG detected them and quarantined them.
    Since then he has had AVG catch and quarantine several more. (I think he has been getting them through Outlook e-mails.)

9. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

That's quite a statement !! ;)
    Any related links to prove this ??

regards,
    bill :)

10. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I don't really ave any documented proof. I made that statement after having used both products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.