Is avast antivirus as good as AVG, NOD32, Norton, PC-Cillin and others?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sinbahd, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinbahd

Sinbahd Guest

I downloaded avast antivirus home edition for my new laptop last month after Norton 2005 trial period expired, avast home edition seems to be a good antivirus, it fasts at updating, it doesn't slow Windows XP SP2 down, I love its spinning ball and I'm impressed with its abilities so I tend to buy avast professional. But it seems that avast is a lesser known antivirus when compared to AVG, NOD32, Norton, PC-Cillin so is it good as others antivirus programs?

Thanks for all comments.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Well I use it myself too and I give it a thumbs up. Its an antivirus program that is not known by many, but if you like it, buy it.

3. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

As long as you are happy and you feel protected doing your stuff online then use it. Avast is making a name for itself and is one of the popular choices amongst the free av users.

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

I like it too.
    Latest version (4.5) manages to check my e-mail without any configuration change to my The Bat! mail client, even using K9 as a spamfilter mail proxy. I was really impressed when I discovered it. Perhaps no big deal for most Outlook (Express) users who take integration with OE for granted, but I am pretty pleased. I suppose it is working too, because Avast catches the Plexus worms that my clamav seem to forget to clean on my mailserver.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well avast! is just gaining popularity. Latest version is really state of the art piece of software. Alwil doesn't use so aggressive advertising as Norton does,thats why it's not so well known. But Home Edition is free (very good),and satisfied users usually recommend it to others.
    It's a slow but effective method.
    And i belive it's better known than AVG,but thats just my opinion.

6. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I use Avast! and I think its excellent, I know at a popular tech site I belong Avast! is fast becoming an AV of choice :)

You have people like RejZoR keeping ALWIL on its toes, how can you beat that :cool:

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i did a test with 40 mb of virii
    and kaspesky drweb and avast make the best results

nod32 the worse

8. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

@mantra
    please give detailed reports of your test.
    That will enable users to draw certain deeper conclusions like what AV performs best against new viruses, which one removes trojans, and which is suited for low end applications...

Didn't you test KAV?

9. steverope

steverope Registered Member

I'm using extendia security suite, and It really seems like one of the best out there, once everything is tweaked, you can't beat it.....it uses kaspersky engine and another type of detection engiune called Rav so if you want one of the best for -40$USD get it!!!!there are some good threads about the extendia AV posted here. Fr Steve

10. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I tried avast briefly and quickly changed back to outpost.

Jimbob

11. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Isn't avast an antivirus and Outpost a firewall?

My setup is NOD32 and Kerio 2.1.5 ^_^

12. Jimbob1989

Sorry, yes your right, getting a bit late, i'm going to sleep.

Jimbob

13. Jimbob1989

o_O I'm getting confused, change around so often. I changed my virus scanner from norton, trying a few as I went and found McAfee to be the best for my liking in the end along with their firewall.

Jimbob

14. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

I dumped Norton and AVG and now run Avast Home. Couldn't be happier so far. It works well for me and until things change to make me dissatisfied, I will stay with it. :cool:

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

the test i did 6 mouths ago
    and i tested almost every av
    the best score
    kaspersky kav
    Drweb
    avast
    norton
    f-prot
    nod32

i haven't the log...sorry

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Mantra,

If you tested almost every AV out there, then did you test Rising AV, MKS_Vir/ArcaVir and any of the so many KAV based scanners like GDATA/Extendia AVK/Pro, eScan, F-Secure etc.?

BTW, here in India, I've seen people who love AVG so much that they actually BOUGHT the Pro edition. Norton is losing its popularity bit by bit and avast! has just started making ground here.

Here in India, McAfee and Norton are increasingly becoming unpopular because the resellers do not sell any upgrades, so its like paying USD 49.95 every year. That's why they stick to Avast! and AVG

Kaspersky is very scarcely available here and eScan's interface is not as good as one would expect. So in the end, we only have the free scanners.

But Avast! is very good, no doubt.

Regards,
    Firecat

To no13,

Which AV do you use currently? And sorry if I am talking too much, its great to be back after a hard disk crash and hardware problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.