Is Avast a worthy AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tonyseeking, Dec 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I can't post malware links, so what remains is www.eicar.com :D

2. progress

progress Guest

Ok, thank you ;)

3. tipo

tipo Registered Member

i tried & tried all of the antiviruses out there (including avast) & my conclusion is this: avast is a good av with high detection rate but if somethin gets in, is very difficult for avast to get it out...heuristicso_O none!!! it detects only what it already knows...i have a 2.4 Ghz proc and when i open a folder with lots of .exe my proc freezes...this is not happening with nod32, avira, kaspersky, bitdefender. hope this helps you :cool:

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Well, tipo, your experience may well be in the minority.
    There was an interesting test report (Russian) conducted on an AV's ability to remove infections, discussed here, and Avast did rather well.
    My own experience with Avast is that it does a very good job of protection, but I'm not a tester, nor do I go to the "dark side", and that system freexes do not happen. (I have a few folders filled with execs, too.)
    Avast is rather intolerant of the presence of another AV, either installed, or recently installed but not completely removed, so I wonder, since you've tried a lot, if that was the case on your PC.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

In fact avast! is one of few AVs that offer thorough cleaning through boot-scan.

Heuristics. Ppl just have to see loads of checkboxes with Heuristics string on it and they're happy. Even if AV doesn't have any what so ever.
    avast! has plenty of proactive mechanisms. Emulator, generic detection, Network Shield, Web Shield, heuristics in Internet mail provider.

As for the lockups on EXE files, i recommend you turn to avast! forums or their tech support. Been running it on different lower end configurations with no such problems.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

In looking at AV Comparatives tests Avast was one of the better ones. I think that the detection rates of the free and paid are the same. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Avast has always been the AV I go to when I want a free one, or do not know what to put on my computer. It has always been satisfactory, and I have never had an infection.
    I have put the free version on several friend's computers and they have seen no reason to change.

When my subscriptions run out in 2010 I may just go back to Avast Free.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Pro version offers scheduling, faster updating, predefined actions on malware detection and much more control over each provider.
    There is also script blocker provider which should give yous ome edge if you're using Internet Explorer. But yeah, in general detection rate by the engine itself is identical for both.

8. risl

risl Registered Member

avast! is just a very solid package without any clear weaknesses, though it doesn't have a reputation for being the best in some specific area. Excellent choise for those who want something well functioning and free. I might even concider buying the pro version if something unexpected happens with Dr.Web, avast! is definently the second choise.

9. progress

progress Guest

Does it work with Opera? *puppy*

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

why wouldnt it? i dont think it works dependent on a browser, but scans web traffic.

11. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Yes it works with Opera, I've had one or two alerts to something when browsing with Opera, one on this site a while back in a thread where folks were discussing some sort of virus threat, obviously that particular one was a FP, can't remember what someone had posted that avast didn't like, think it was to do with Killdisk.

12. fblais

fblais Registered Member

On-demand scan is quite slow though, compared to, for instance, Avira or NOD32.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'd say avast! and Avira scan times are quite comparable. I might check them both and post back. ;)

Edit In: I concur. The avast! scan, at 17 minutes, took about 3 minutes longer than the Avira scan. One note, however... avast! is my on-access, resident AV and as such, it has all sensitivity levels set to high and it scans for spyware whereas Avira scanner on my machines are on-demand only and without the Guard component running, there is no anti-spyware capability. Not sure if that in anyway accounts for the quicker Avira scan time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  14. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Avast! is a very well rounded security application.

15. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

What would you highlight in Avast? What is Avast's strongest side in your opinion (I ask all those who discuss the topic)?

Edit: bad English as usual.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  16. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm not sure what you are asking.
    Its strong points are:
    -Stability
    -Fairly low resource usage (except sometimes for a minute or so during some updates)
    -Good all round protection
    -The forum
    -Boot scan
    -Removal capability.
    "What would you specifically opt-out" I don't understand.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Add to that:
    -Affordability (free) ;)
    -Very few false positives
    -Frequent updates
    :thumb:

18. gery

gery Registered Member

What about script blocking? is it a big loss in the free or something not really necessary

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I think it rates especially high on stability and reliability. Few bugs, etc. Performs well, continues to improve with age. Good feature set, well rounded in all respects. Just overall very good.

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

It is my understanding from reading their forum that the Standard Shield and Web Shield provide this kind of protection as well.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Script blocking is an exclusive feature of the Pro version....

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Avast is definantly a fine AV.
    And a 60-day trial period of their pro version is pretty much unheard of anywhere else.

23. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

except for Twister's 90 day trial :D

24. gery

gery Registered Member

someone please answer my question

25. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I stand corrected. :D
    But 60 days is still very generus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.