is auto update working

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by 4now, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Well Ron, I have now witnesses via the web page that I have missed 3 updates!
    the automatic update does not appear to work......

What I did is make my own or rather schedule my own... its using the same module that the regular automatic update uses ie: NOD32 update
    But when you set it up yourself it seems to work.... now let me clarify... when I set it up... I set it up to run every 2 hours... it went ahead and got started and ran... and updated me from 1901 to 1904
    So I suppose its working... Ill have to watch it?

I guess I should just delete the regular scheduled "automatic update" that came with the program... for some reason it doesn't work.o_O

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, could you try removing the scheduled update that you made, and leave the auto update for 1 week, make sure your have "Choose Automatically" set for servers.

If for some reason it has not updated after 1 week then I would suggest a complete uninstall, removing the Eset folder found in C Drive> Program Files, and then a reinstall of version 2.12.3

There should not be an issue with updating, if you do so with a Scheduled Update then auto should also work....

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

3. windstrings

Well the only thing that makes me nervous about those suggestions... is that if it takes "days" for it to work.... there are tons of new viruses out by then?

I don't really understand why mine would work verses the other one.. they are both the same?... they both use the "nod32 update" module?

So maybe just making a new one rewrites the nod registry... But on the other hand.... I have already deleted the factory one, but like I said, it should all be the same?... the one I make should be at least as good if not better?

And yes, I do have the other settings you suggested..
    thanks.

4. Blackspear

That's ok, we'll leave it at that then, I just don't like to see an oddball problem escape...

5. windstrings

Well I guess I don't either... but I"ve heard of far too many folks with the same problem... and I'm not willing to wait longer than a few days..... If its a server problem.. thats one thing..... but I had mine set to update every 1 hours and every since I installed it.... it never did it automatically?

So what gives?

anyway...I think it must reset a registry error to just redo it?

thanks for your help

6. Blackspear

Easiest thing to do, is if you have any doubts, I would suggest a complete uninstall, then remove the Eset folder found in C Drive> Program Files, and then a FRESH install of version 2.12.3 Leave the settings as default with everything, except for scanning settings in My Profile.

7. Howard

Howard Registered Member

This is what I did this week, a fresh install of 2.12.3 and I had significant update server problems with this fresh install on the evening of October 20th (autoupdate has been fine since then). If this had been my first encounter with NOD32 it would have been uninstalled pretty quickly and permanently as there is no way I would put up with an a-v programme that was apparently incapable of updating its virus signatures (2.12.3 has, as I recall, September virus signatures). If I had been a first time user I would not have come looking for this support forum, I would simply have erased any trace of NOD32 and installed another a-v programme. I understand Eset are addressing this server problem and it is good that they are doing so because I suspect they have been losing customers as a result of first time users encounters with update server connection errors - Eset should have a zero tolerance attitude to this.

8. Blackspear

Agreed

9. windstrings

They must use a "different" server for the automatic updates verses the manual updates?... barring problems on the user end with the nod software, thats the only explanation I can think of why when auto won't work, the manual will.

It would make sense... if you have thousands of customers logging on "everyhour", would tend to tie up a server a whole lot more than an occasioanal manual update eh?

10. Howard

Howard Registered Member

When I have encountered problems with autoupdating, manual has not necessarily improved matters, it has been just as likely to fill up the Event log as make a successful connection. FWIW, and just to keep my interest in the topic, I see my Event log is being littered with server failures today:

23/10/2004 08:55:00 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.
    23/10/2004 07:55:00 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.
    23/10/2004 06:55:00 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.
    23/10/2004 01:55:00 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.
    23/10/2004 00:55:00 Update Error connecting to server u3.eset.com.

11. Blackspear

Do you have your update connection set to "Choose Automatically"?

12. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Yes, I have not found any benefit in messing with that setting.

13. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

When set to choose automatically, NOD will try each of the update servers in turn. The entries in your log are just informing you that NOD was unable to connect to the u3 server at that particular time. It would have gone on to connect to the next server in its list, and as there is no log entry concerning an error for a different server, the connection would have succeeded.

I have occasionally seen a complete failure to update in my log, but when this happens you will see successive update error entries for each server, followed by a more critical update failure warning, as opposed to an error warning.

The last time that happened to me was when the Program Component Update to 2.12 was released, and all the servers seemed to be overloaded for a couple of days.

14. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation Phil, I might have got there myself in a year or so :)
    I am not overly exercised about these entries, as I know my virus singatures are up to date. However, no one likes to see such entries in their Event log, makes people nervous, start wondering about whether they are fully protected etc There should be no such entries in the Event log, they create uncertainty and give a poor impression of the programme and NOD32 deserves better.

15. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Hm, on reflection this could be interpreted as me suggesting server errors should not be recorded in the Event log, so just in case let me make it clear that what I mean is that the errors should not be occurring (I rather like the information in Event log, one of those features of NOD32 that perhaps you only miss and appreciate when you try other a-v software)

16. windstrings

I agree... if the event happened... good or bad... I want to know about it.... so I don't start "presuming" things! :eek:

17. Blackspear

Agreed, I want to know, Full Stop :D

18. windstrings

Well I haven't had this program long enough to say too much... I can onlyl presume and guess....

But if your autoupdate works even once and then won't... I would say its server issues....

But untill you see it work on its own, you don't know?

19. Howard

Howard Registered Member

Well, someone at Eset has been busy this weekend and while I was happily tucked up in bed in the small hours of this morning, NOD32 updated automatically with the latest virus signature.

20. windstrings

Yea me too!!!! :cool:

21. Blackspear

Good to see Guys...

All the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.