Is anyone using this program -- & a question

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by bgoodman4, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Ceedo Personal

http://www.ceedo.com/products/ceedo-personal.html

Ceedo Personal enables you to create a portable virtual desktop comprised of many of your favorite Windows® applications; Create and carry your own personal desktop environment with you on a USB flash drive, portable hard drive or iPod device, and run it on any PC without installation.

With Ceedo Personal, you can take your computing exerience with you on-the-go. Whether you’re across the street or across the globe, Ceedo Personal gives you access to the same familiar applications and content that you’re used to using. It’s as if you never left home.

-------

Apart from being interested in knowing if anyone is using this (or has used it) and what they think about it I have another question. With this sort of device would you be assured that if you plug it into a virus infested PC that your virtual PC would be immune....and if the virtual PC were contaminated would it be possible for malware to migrate to whatever PC the device was plugged into? I know virtualization software is supposed to prevent this sort of thing but I expect this program is somewhat different from a program like Vbox or VMware and would rather ask and let my ignorance show rather than stay quiet and possibly have a problem.

2. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yes it's a wonder they didn't refer to it being Anti-Malware as they state,

"Once you remove your USB device, no trace of your work is left behind on the host PC".
    but they don't state if any of the host PC's possible malware is left on our USB.

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Ceedo is application virtualization, in other words everything you run is separated from the OS.

Ceedo is mature and works well, I've used enterprise and personal but don't run it atm.

4. bgoodman4

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

The program intrigues me since it would be nice to be able to travel with a memory stick (or perhaps an external drive) rather than with a laptop. Could this be done with VBox or VMware or would you have to have something installed on the host PC to be able to open the VM created by these 2?

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I don't think it's possible with VMware but you can create a portable version of Virtualbox so you could do that.

http://www.vbox.me/

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  6. bgoodman4

Thank you.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is it legit?

8. bgoodman4

Why would you think it might not be?

9. bgoodman4

Just found this from our friend Dedoimedo, its a short tutorial on installing Vbox portable on a USB drive (the tut would only be nec for someone new to running portable apps from a USB stick - that would be me for one - link provided below). It should be noted that Admin rights apparently must be available to you on the host PC for Vbox on a USB stick to work. A big drawback IMO if you are traveling. It is unlikely you would have these rights on PCs at hotels & Internet cafes, which is what I personally would primarily want it for. I did not notice if the same is true of Ceedo. I hope its not......

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/portable-virtualbox.html

10. bgoodman4

Apparently Ceedo does not require admin rights - at least for the enterprise version. I have not been able to determine if the same applies to the personal version.

[PDF] Datasheet: Ceedo Enterprise
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    Works in user mode (does not require administrative rights) enabling organizations to run the application on locked-down PCs.  Seamless migration. ...
    files.ceedo.com/resources/DS_CeedoEnterprise.pdf

11. bgoodman4

MojoPac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both U3 and Ceedo can run without Administrator privileges while MojoPac currently cannot. ... applications from writing to the host machine; Ceedo does this as well; ... Personal tools. Try Beta · Log in / create account ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MojoPac - Cached - Similar

So it seems both the Enterprise and personal versions of Ceedo do not require admin rights to work. Its not free like Vbox but .........

I will have to give this program a try.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  12. andyman35

The way it's done now is totally legit.Previously they included all the files within the App but after being contacted by Sun the necessary files are now downloaded 'on the fly'.

13. andyman35

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Is it possible to make exclusions(malware scanners) in case with cleaning another infected PC and directly interact with underlying system to kill the malware there with virusscanners on your virtual desktop ?

15. bgoodman4

Seems it will not support Windows (I think), the following is from the wiki. I must admit much of the wiki terminology is way beyond me.

User mode emulation
    QEMU can launch Linux or Darwin/Mac OS X processes compiled for one CPU on another CPU. Target OS system calls are thunked for endianness and 32/64 bit mismatches. WINE Windows API reimplementation and DOSEMU are the main targets for QEMU in user mode emulation. This mode also eases cross-compilation and cross-debugging.

Here is another one that does not require admin rights and its free ---- http://portableapps.com/ --- does anyone have experience with it?

EDIT: looks like it will not support Windows either. http://portableapps.com/apps/operating_systems

EDIT 2: I think I may have misunderstood what Portable Apps and QEMU can run as, I think now that they can launch Linux or OS but they actually run as Windows. I am very new to this stuff and am not sure what I am reading a good portion of the time so can someone clarify for me. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.