is antivir a good antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by monicaa_84, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monicaa_84

monicaa_84 Guest

never heard about antivir on this forum is it good in catching viruses

2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AntiVir Personal Edition Classic (AVPE-C) has plenty of virus signatures, & updates them at least 5 times/week. It also has strong heuristics & good cleaning/repair capabilities. AVPE-C is diligently maintained & has frequent updates to its scan engines.

Therefore, AVPE-C is a good antivirus. However, as is true for all antivirus programs, you should supplement AVPE-C with a good AntiTrojan program.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Search links expire on the forums. Try antivir for a search term. :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  6. The Hammer

Yes I know but maybe monicaa_84 is new or not fully aware of how to use the forum features.

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks Ronjor, I did not know that. Hammer I think Ronjor was just being helpful, but I do agree with you and always resist that bad urge to snap back with a rude reply. We always want to make a Guest with a serious question a welcome guest now don't we. ;)

I currently use AntiViri and like it fine. That would be until I decide what else I want to purchase. I run BoClean trojan protection along side. Bellgamin has given you good advice. ;)

8. I installed AntiVir on my sisters pc because she didnt want to buy one but when I went back a few months later and ran a full system on demand scan it found lots of malware on her pc including some inside archives which it couldnt clean. I have since installed AVG on her pc and hope it does better. I advised her to buy KAV 5.

9. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

That means it is doing its job!

Neither the KAV Guard nor AntiVir will scan within archives realtime, but both will do so with the demand scanner; I also doubt if KAV can repair within archives, that is the nature of archives.

I doubt that it will even do as well as AntiVir.

10. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Indeed. To draw an analogy, fitting the very best brakes to your car will never help you avoid collisions unless you also decide to drive more safely.

ALL security software needs help from the user to do its job.

11. The Hammer

If this had happened on your machine that would be one thing. But how dilligent was Sis in updating definitions and running regular scans?

12. Your right about not cleaning infected archives until you extract the archive and delete viruses from extracted files. Maybe some of the malware on her pc was due to regular update failure because of slow and large AntiVir dialup updates , hopefully smaller and faster incremental updates from AVG will be more suitable.

13. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I think Antivir is a very good program, BUT update size is nonsense (!!!).

14. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I think it's impossible...

AVG will never be better than Antivir in detection...

15. waters

waters Registered Member

Avg has let me down,antivir is far better.I have tried loads of antivirus and its up there with the best.

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AntiVir is a good AV as far as malware detection is concerned. Much better than AVG IMO. :)

17. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

What are the pros and cons of Antivir against Avast?

Which is the lighter on on the system

Abhishek

18. abhi_mittal

I want the lightest and an effective FREE AV for my notebook PC.

19. abhi_mittal

Cmon guys, advise me! :doubt:

20. .....

..... Registered Member

Hi Abhishek,

May i reccomend you try both avast and antivir (both are free - you have nothing to lose) and you see which you like better.

IMO, both are fine products.

Antivir prolly has the better heuristics (a method of finding unknown malware threats) and a larger signiture database. However, its GUI isn't the easiest to use and the updates are very large (5mb+ daily), this is going to change soon BTW though, they will be making an incremental update system (only downloading the data missing instead of all the data again at every update)

Avast on the other hand features several features which antivir misses. Such as a HTTP scanner and a network IDS system.

You could always run one in realtime and the other on demand.

Hope this helps...

21. abhi_mittal

which has a better real-time protection?

22. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I'll recommend you avast! over AntiVir... The AntiVir update machanism just sucks, and what's a AV without a good update?
    avast! is better this way, fast little updates :) I'm sure AntiVir's scanning results will be a little better tho, but it's about compromises... Because on the other hand avast! has better unpacker then AntiVir, so just pick what you like/prefer :)

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The level detection is the pratical the same between AntiVir and avast!, but avast have much better updater engine, support, features, and the free version also scan spyware...
    With AntiVir PEC you can't scan for spyware... :(

AntiVir is good as backup AV and for very old computers...

So, if you are looking for a free AV, try avast! Home Edition ;)

24. The Hammer

I have read that Avast Home Edition does not have script protection. Is this correct and if it is how important is this?

25. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I've used avast! Home to protect my laptop more than 6 months, so far so good, avast! update mechanism is excellent on Wireless LAN and via GPRS.

As far as I've seen in some tests. AntiVir has slightly better detection rates at Zoo malware but I don't care about that much for Zoo, Antivir is slightly lighter than avast! on my old PC desktop but my laptop is quite fast (768 MB of RAM) so I have no reasons to use AntiVir or AVG Free.

Beside the excellent avast! update mechanism and superb support forum, the most important aspect of avast! Home for me is so-called Multi-layer real-time protection that you can choose to install what you want

- Web Shield (real-time HTTP scaner)
    - URL Blocking
    - Network Shield (similar to IDS)
    - P2P Shield
    - IM Shield
    - Internet Mail (POP/SMTP/IMAP/NNTP)

About Script Blocking module, If I'm not mistaken if you have the fully patched system you don't have to worry about it. But I may be wrong so wait for other gurus to tell you. :)

Try avast! Home and AntiVir on your laptop and you'll know what works for you.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.