is a router enough?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by jg88swe, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jg88swe

jg88swe Registered Member

Hey,
    I wonder.. I got a D-link DI-604 Router with Firewall technology (http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=62&rid=303&sec=0) and I wonder if that is enough for protection against inbound threats?

I've been using only NOD32 and this router as my protection suite and i'm aware of that I don't have any outbound protection.
    But I'm not concered about Outbound because hopefully my AV should pick keyloggers and Backdoors up.

I tried LnS out and i'm very happy with the low cpu usage. But do I really need a second firewall...

2. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Yes, a well configured router should protect you from inbound threats.

If you have more than one machine behind your router you should think about an additional software firewall like LnS to protect each computer from attacks inside your network. For example, if you connect an additional notebook that was used in an internet cafe before... If this notebook would be infected, it might easily invade the other computers behind the router.

Outbound protection critically depends on your download/surfing behaviour. I recommend using at least the LnS application control. Howver, there might be even better software for outbound control...

Thomas :)

3. [suave]

[suave] Registered Member

like what? can you give some examples please? o_O

4. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

For outbound protection my machine runs LnS only.
    It all depends on your surfing behavior: If you run Windows as admin, do P2P, if you run IE, you activate Active-X, Javascript and Java while surfing, and you do open attachments from unknown sources (like from another P2P user), then you are for sure in danger. You could try this here:
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/
    (is supposed to be very good, I never used it though)

However, you better not depend too much on tools like Processguard. Malicious code is often a little ahead of defense software... And yes, I am paranoid :rolleyes:

Thomas :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.