Is a resident/realtime antispyware app still needed? or just do on-demand scans?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mmiranda, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

With my present set-up (see signature below), would you recommend adding a resident/realtime antispyware app? or on-demand scans is enough?

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You don´t need a realtime AS.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

on-demand would be enough; nod32 and ssm can handle realtime protection.

4. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

It would seem like you don't need a realtime AS, but it would add extra protection in realtime, so if you feel like it just do it.

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

If you practice "safe-surfing", you should be fine. Do youo_O

6. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

If there is a need for on-demand AS, then there is a legitimate need for real-time AS. For if real-time AS were unnecessary, then surely on-demand AS would be unnecessary (except for perhaps the peace of mind, but this isn't necessary). Unless of course you take the peculiar position that its better to remove spyware infections than simply preventing them in the first place. Am I missing something here?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

To say it in another way , you have real time antispyware protection - this is NOD32 (and in some way SSM) . Mmiranda , your setup is great , don't change it ;)

8. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

As you know Nod32 is one of the top AV, but I still misses alot of viruses as any other antivirus. So even though Nod32 could catch spyware, I doubt it has a higher prevention rate than a dedicated Anti-spyware program, especially in real-time. Well, this is what I think:D

9. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

Thanks for the kind responses. I practice safe surfing as much as possible.

It's just I had AVG Antispyware as realtime before, and I never did get an alert on the realtime monitor, and when I scanned my system on-demand, it detects something. It also considerably slowed my system down, so I tried SAS Pro which had an imperceptible memory imprint but it also didn't catch anything in realtime, but when I scan with it on-demand, it detects something.

So, now I just installed SSM (Paid) and do on-demand scans (using programs mentioned in my signature) regularly. My system has never been so responsive as compared to having an anti-spyware scanner in realtime.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.