Is a reliable US VPN company provide sufficient protection when using unsecured wifi?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by MrGump, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

I have been responsible for my fair share of pointless VPN threads, a fact I am not proud of :'(

My greatest hope is that this will be my final post on the matter. If possible, and as not to provoke a long debate, please try to answer my question plainly.

I frequently use public wifi or I pay for wifi in places like airports or coffee shops etc..

When I am not using Gmail accounts, which I assume are secured anyway, I am doing a lot of forum posting and I would like to keep that type of information out of sight from prying eyes.

Now, I like Strongvpn's prices and choices of locations and the system they use to switch locations. They have been around since 1995 and their forums are mostly full of happy people and a few reputable organizations have published favorable reviews of the company. I would be happy to use Hamachi but leaving my computer running is not an option so paying a reputable company looks like the best choice.

If I am really just looking for security when using public wifi with my notebook and smartphone, is the service Strongvpn provides perfectly fine for my needs?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. x942

x942 Guest

I haven't looked into the company to much but as it is in the US I would say it should be fine to use to protect login details etc. But anonymity may be a different matter for two reasons:
    1) they may log some data for legal reasons and
    2) If you are in the states than its not that anonymous being you are in the same country rather than another country.
    However for security purposes it looks like an excellent service.

3. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

thank you

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Hmm, i wonder why strongvpn says they've been around since 1995. Their website was created only in 2006.

5. I no more

I no more Registered Member

Re: Is a reliable US VPN company provide sufficient protection when using unsecured w

I confused. Are you saying that StrongVPN has repeatedly broken their promises and been "self-defrocked". o_O I haven't seen mention of this anywhere.

Please do tell. :thumb:

6. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

thank you to everybody for all the opinions and feel free to keep them coming *puppy*

7. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Anybody afraid of Anchorfree Hotspot Shield? It is free and has been around along time.

8. x942

x942 Guest

I don't trust them anymore (unless they have changed since the last time I have used them) they inject adds in to every page, tracking bugs, and so on. For anonymity don't go with them they track what you do to make money. Also last time I used them there was an issue where every search on google, yahoo, et al would direct you to a different search page/engine.

9. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I have used StrongVPN for a year and am using it as we speak, support is great and to be honest i have had no real problems. I have also had nobody knocking down my door, so for now i trust them. :thumb:

My Internet is 10MBPS, with VPN its 8MBPS, so not much of a drop off.

Hope this helps.

10. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

anybody who trusted their vpn services to the extend of using it for online bankling?

11. x942

x942 Guest

I trust mine but that's because I run my own VPN via hamatchi. I also use SSH tunneling when I am using linux. Again I run my OWN tunnels as it is really the only way to be 100% sure nothing funky is happening. My VPN is AES-256 BIT and only allows me to connect via RSA key fingerprinting and a password. If you can run a computer at home when you are out I highly recommend it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.