Is a Mac book really worth it's price?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by dogma, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I like white MacBook over Black.

Anyone has an idea, after some time, say one year, does white one will look more older than black? I mean is white color more prone to scratches etc.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@dogma:

Source: Wikipedia

As for the wireless:

Source: Apple - MacBook - Technical Specifications

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Based on my son's white Macbook, which is now 2 years old and has received a lot of use/travel...., it doesn't show significant wear.

From a casual (and admittedly superficial) technical perspective, black gloss surfaces generally do show surface wear faster than an equivalent white surface (it has to do with the surface reflection of light and surface based light scattering at scratch points)

Blue

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Blue! I though white might be more vulnerable.

5. BlueZannetti

The biggest issues with white are staining (don't spill that cup of coffee on the Macbook! There are other consequences as well, as my son found out with his first one....) and yellowing over time. The former is clearly avoidable, the latter is highly dependent on exposure to sun and environmental oxidants. Apple also uses a white with a mild cream hue (compare it closely to a bright white surface) to suppress the impact of age based yellowing/etc.

Blue

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So creamy white will be better ooption I think?

BTW do u recommend spilling a cup of coffee on a non-Mac?:D

7. BlueZannetti

Aesthetically, I'd prefer black, but it's a bit of an upcharge ($100)
    It's terrible waste of good coffee on any computer, so no.

One thing to appreciate is that as components are increasingly tightly packed into smaller and smaller physical volumes, and this is true of any of the smaller laptops, the impact of unfortunate events ramps up. In this case (minor spill into keyboard), the only surviving elements were the plastic shell and hard drive. It was a useful lesson to learn..., expensive..., but useful.

Blue

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

To me pearly whie looks more cool. That,s the reason I had even think of LG laptops, they have many models with white keyboard, palm rest etc.
    lol

9. rarebeast

rarebeast Registered Member

at the moment i'm thinking of getting a macbook, the price is putting me off alot btu i'm going to america and can get it €270/£210 cheaper. is it worth getting it??

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

So that makes for a total of two who don't like the design yourself and monkeysmagic.:) :D .

11. dendrobates

dendrobates Registered Member

Yes and no,

First, i think it is much more expensive then it should be, rather stupid of
    Apple, because if it was cheaper, more people would buy it, and in the end they would earn more.

Just like one of the previous posters i work with all kinds of OS-es simultaneously for more then 20 years now.

And to be honest, i think that MacOS Leopard is the best OS for a workstation at this moment.
    I am a owner of a MacBook Pro and i think it works great, i run VMware fusion on it, and combined with spaces i can easily switch between XP-pro ,Vista, Leopard
    and each OS runs faster then it does on my other laptop i have bought at the same time a half a year ago for my wife (Toshiba 2 GB).

But more over, it is a classic story, as a Security Pro, i think
    Leopard is more stable, faster and more secure then any other OS.
    It has more features, and especially graphics, Itunes, Iphoto the build in webcam.
    The fact that i can show a Windows Application problem, to one of my colleagues, live via Ichat ,
    or show a Keynote presentation to him at the office, when i am at home, is fantastic.

And although it has some security problems, most Apple users are working for years now without any extra 3rd party Security application.

Av-comparatives tested with 1.7 Million malware samples on Windows
    at their last comparatives, for Apple users this is unbelievable.
    And if a security problem occurs, Apple fix it, and don't let 3rd party software
    do the job.

So MacOs is great? No it is too expensive for a normal user,
    The hardware can't be sold by a normal computer company, because
    they get a very very low margin i guess 5% of the low margin they have on a pc.
    And you always are depended on the Apple monopoly of their hardware and software. (often need to buy any application, you can get for free for Windows)

If Leopard would run (legal) on a normal pc, Microsoft would have a serious problem, but again is doesn't.

One thing is certain, Leopard is the easiest new OS there is to learn, by far.
    It is much easier then Windows/XP/Vista and Linux etc.

Although MacOS has serious problems with Safari (security) i think it is great.

On my Windows systems, i am always busy with maintenance on the OS
    and the Security applications, on Leopard the time i need to spend on that
    is almost nothing.

So i think the OS is great, the hardware is great, i hate the monopoly, the prices are much to high, it sometimes is difficult to get the right software,
    but if you can afford to buy an other OS besides your Windows System
    I recommend Leopard. But the best thing is to have Both Windows and Leopard, i can't live without both of them. ;)

By running Windows under VMware Fusion on Mac, it is easy to backup the Windows System
    (don't need True Image etc, or make snapshots) and it is easy to switch to another OS if you need to reboot Windows .

12. L815

L815 Guest

My opinion:
    No

Reasons:
    - Build my own (fairly simple, tons of guides for newbies)
    - PC parts are very flexible with other pc parts
    - With $1200+ for a Mac Laptop, I can build a super desktop or buy a better Laptop
    - Proprietary
    - I trust part manufacturers with drivers for THEIR OWN PRODUCT more than one group type thing.

13. rarebeast

rarebeast Registered Member

macbook? is it worth the money??

i'm thinking of buying a mac book but its very expensive. one of the reasons that i really want to get a mac because its alot safer than windows but is the money really worth it? o_O

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  14. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Re: macbook? is it worth the money??

There are some threads regardings mac on the "software and services" section...
    I can't vote since I'm still trying to make up my mind on the subject :D

15. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Right... where can we vote :)

16. The Hammer

I want to exercise my right to vote now. I said now.:D But my vote will be yes.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

macs are propiority so you have to buy both thew software and hardware from apple which is expensive.
    i was trying out a macbook pro yesterday at college. i found it quite weird and found no benefits.

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Heres the previous thread: Is a Mac book really worth it's price?

If I was concerned about safety I would just get a laptop and put Linux. Im not awed with Macs and I dont like proprietary stuff either.

19. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I used to be in awe of the Power MACs (that was a while ago, and I knew nothing about computers) but then I bought a PC :D

20. The Hammer

There is a lot of third party software both paid and free for Macs now. Check out Major geeks for example.

21. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I think there safer due to market share for now.I think the question Is depending on your needs is it worth it.for general internet,email,IM chats etc,I would say no.I deceided against one back in february mostly due to software availabilty and price.most of the software I like is windows based.the plus side you can run dual OS with macs leopard/windows but whats the point kinda defeats the security.On the other hand unix OS is pretty secure and stable.just my 2 pennies

22. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Question is similar to is Vista worth the money? Yes or no depending on your circumstances, needs, etc.

Try using a Macbook for a month and then decide if it's worth the money. Most people who do this end up keeping the Macbook.

All I know is that my next notebook computer will be a Mac.

23. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I have always wanted to buy myself a Mac but when it comes to buying a new computer , it is the power of money which make me buy a new Windows computer . Anyway , I really love the new Macbook Air . If you have the money , get a Mac . It is a very nice toy :D If somehow you get bored of it , you can run Windows on a VM from the Mac :thumb:

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or dual boot using bootcamp

25. millertime26

millertime26 Registered Member

I agree with the above comment. If you have the money to do it, get a mac...otherwise, I've always been happy with my PC running Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.